Virus and Firewall

E

eulen76

What AV to get?

I am a new Mac user and have read the discussion on firewalls and virus protection. I like to err on the side of safety, so I have activated the Mac firewall. My question is which AV of the ones mentioned is the best? (in your own opinion)

Norton, ClamXav, Virex?

Thanks in advance for any opinions

eulen76
KC, MO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well if you have Tiger, don't use Virex, it's not compatible.

I've personally been using Norton for a while and I think it works well. ClamXav is free and has some good reviews, but I've never tried it myself.

J

JES13

Firewall ?????

schweb said:

I've personally been using Norton for a while and I think it works well. ClamXav is free and has some good reviews, but I've never tried it myself.

???? Don't we already HAVE a Firewall installed in our Computers (confused), I'm just not sure 'which' areas are the 'right' ones to check off so I can still get into the NET, but not have to 'worry' as much.

Our Firewall is in the Sys. Pref. under "Sharing".... (I have Tiger - installed in May).....

E

eulen76

Thanks

schweb said:

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

eulen76

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
JES13 said:
???? Don't we already HAVE a Firewall installed in our Computers (confused), I'm just not sure 'which' areas are the 'right' ones to check off so I can still get into the NET, but not have to 'worry' as much.

Our Firewall is in the Sys. Pref. under "Sharing".... (I have Tiger - installed in May).....
He's asking about Virus protection, not firewalls. Virex, Norton AV, and ClamXav are anti-virus programs.

K

Kokopelli

The default Firewall for OSX has little to no value. It does not have address or interface filtering and simply indiscriminately blocks or opens specific ports. If you hunt back a month or two in my posts you will find my tirade on the subject. For my OS X client boxes I just hand coded the rules and gave up on the default firewall.

OS X Server's firewall is much better. It does the job quite well if certain features are less than obvious on how to perform (such as address based blocking).

For Virus protection I do not have any on my Macs, too many horror stories. I do use ClamAV on my linux boxes though and I like it there. One of my scheduled tasks is to periodically mount my Macs as a firewire drive onto one of my servers and let it scan the entire contents of the system. So far I have kept clean, though ironically I am having to repair one of my Windows servers that somehow got infected.

M

menace3054

i recommend Virus Barrier available from www.intego.com

i had Norton AV and now this, i personally like this better. Uses very little system resources

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kokopelli said:
The default Firewall for OSX has little to no value. It does not have address or interface filtering and simply indiscriminately blocks or opens specific ports. If you hunt back a month or two in my posts you will find my tirade on the subject. For my OS X client boxes I just hand coded the rules and gave up on the default firewall.

OS X Server's firewall is much better. It does the job quite well if certain features are less than obvious on how to perform (such as address based blocking).

For Virus protection I do not have any on my Macs, too many horror stories. I do use ClamAV on my linux boxes though and I like it there. One of my scheduled tasks is to periodically mount my Macs as a firewire drive onto one of my servers and let it scan the entire contents of the system. So far I have kept clean, though ironically I am having to repair one of my Windows servers that somehow got infected.

Both OS X and OS X server use the same firewall. OS X server just has better configuration options. There are shareware apps to configure a desktop machine's firewall, or you can hand code them as you did.

As it stands, the OS X firewall is basic, but it does have value. It keeps applications on your box from talking unless you want them to (unlike certain other firewalls I could name.) Combine it with a good router-level firewall (even NAT works) and it should provide all the security most users will need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.