New Mac User

Reaction score
Before I get my Mac I want to back up my current PC hard drive complete onto an external drive. Is it possible to use that same external drive to back up the data on my new Mac once it has been configured with all the data from my current PC? In other words, after I take my PC to the Mac store and they copy all that data into my Mac, can I keep the PC backup on the same external hard drive that I will be doing my regular Mac backup on? Can I format 2 500GB partitions on a 1TB external drive and leave 1 partition with the PC backup and use the other partition to be my daily backup for the new Mac? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yes you can, you can use disk utility to partition your drive into 2 separate partitions and keep you PC backup one one of them. You can then use Time Machine to backup your mac to the other partition.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There are plenty out there but in my honest opinion I quite like the Western Digital drives.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Yes you can, you can use disk utility to partition your drive into 2 separate partitions and keep you PC backup one one of them. You can then use Time Machine to backup your mac to the other partition.

- Simon

As another newb about to receive my new iMAC, I too have been backing up my PC to an external HD I own.

Being able to keep my PC back-up and use the same HD to back-up my MAC is something I never thought of.

Thanks for this info.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime Tom

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.