After iWork Install Recovered Files Folder In Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I have just downloaded and started using Pages (iWork), all seem`s fine except now after using Pages or Numbers and deleting any trash, if I reboot there is now a new folder in the trash called Recovered Files and on opening it usually contains a JPEG image as my screen shot that I imported into a document. I then have to secure empty trash to remove it.

Why is this happening as previously using Neooffice (now uninstalled), until supposedly upgrading to Apple software (iWork) I never had this issue. Any pointers would be helpful.

C

chas_m

Sounds like you are not properly quitting your applications before restarting the machine. As you may or may not know, the "close" button does not "quit" applications. Applications should be properly quit when not in use -- command-q or "quit" from the application menu.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

Thank you for the reply, thought I was quitting the App`s correctly/fully. But maybe I was just going to Pages > quit Pages without closing the open document first, so will try this as see what happens.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

As an update I have just edited a Budget Document, saved the new doc via the save as menu and replaced the original.

I closed the Numbers page via the red ball then went to the Numbers menu at the top of the screen and chose quit numbers (Application menu) then rebooted guess what I have a new Recovered Files folder sitting in the trash.

So how can I stop this procedure continually repeating every time I use a iWork module? I know iWork was very inexpensive to buy but truthfully feel like reverting to Neooffice, unless there is a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I also have noticed these recovered files in the trash when using iWork. I simply ignore them and empty the trash occasionally.

C

chas_m

Hi chas_m,

As an update I have just edited a Budget Document, saved the new doc via the save as menu and replaced the original.

Have you experimented to see if this ONLY happens when you replace (overwrite) an original? In other words, does it happen if you create a new document completely from scratch and then quit?

I closed the Numbers page via the red ball then went to the Numbers menu at the top of the screen and chose quit numbers

Good, but unnecessary. Just use the application menu to quit, or command-q. There's no need to use the "close" button at all if you're just quitting the program.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

Have you experimented to see if this ONLY happens when you replace (overwrite) an original? In other words, does it happen if you create a new document completely from scratch and then quit?

It make no difference whether it is a new / replaced file or new from a template, and at the end of yesterday after doing some sound and image work plus a few letters I had a plethora of files (20) in a Recovered Files folder. The really odd thing is you will not see the Recovered Files folder in the trash after a session but only files you may have deleted during that session. It is only after a reboot.

Good, but unnecessary. Just use the application menu to quit, or command-q. There's no need to use the "close" button at all if you're just quitting the program.

Yes normally I just quite the App from its drop down menu or use the command-q, but wanted to make double sure I fully closed any file I was working on after saving it.

OP
newscribe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

OK after a few weeks of using iWork I think I may now understand why this Recovered Files folder gets created, could be a left over image etc that is being held in clipboard, but I have discovered if you use Pages to open a document that was not written in pages then some items may not be correctly read by Pages IE photo boarders and these images are also saved at shutdown and put into the Recovered Files folder that appears in the trash on reboot, the same goes for Numbers and importing non Numbers documents.

So at least I now think I understand why this happens, it seems that it is a way that pages / Numbers saves or protects the original image in a document just in case you feel like keeping it. Maybe I am way off the mark but the above is what I have found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz CoreDuo 2GB OSX v10.6.8
Not just imported files get recovered.

Hi,

OK after a few weeks of using iWork I think I may now understand why this Recovered Files folder gets created, could be a left over image etc that is being held in clipboard, but I have discovered if you use Pages to open a document that was not written in pages then some items may not be correctly read by Pages IE photo boarders and these images are also saved at shutdown and put into the Recovered Files folder that appears in the trash on reboot, the same goes for Numbers and importing non Numbers documents.

So at least I now think I understand why this happens, it seems that it is a way that pages / Numbers saves or protects the original image in a document just in case you feel like keeping it. Maybe I am way off the mark but the above is what I have found.

I'm having this same problem with iWork, but I'm finding recovered files all the time in Trash that appear to be from Numbers, not Pages––and it's not just imported stuff. The image elements seem to be from spreadsheets that I created in Pages to do component calculations and power output estimations for building my solar panels. I find sometimes pieces of images from things that look like internal buttons found in Pages and sometimes photos that I pasted into cells are also in trash, like they are a duplicate copy or something... Not really sure why Numbers does this either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't have Numbers, and maybe you've already looked, but... Is there something in Numbers Preferences that might control this behavior?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Maybe it hasn't been noticed before but this has been asked on this forum before. I don't have numbers installed but I see them sometimes also. I started noticing them after I had installed intego and I think I've seen it after closing word. It seems to be system wide 'temp' file and maybe due to some program being slower shutting down or something. The answer here was that this is normal for a mac not to worry. After some more research, it seems to be more common when there are programs that have 'auto save' or 'save state' or some feature of the like. Apple seems to allude to that it's when you aren't shutting down properly which it may be, but also may be when an 'extra' internal thing like when sleep is activated (just a speculation). None the less, it is nothing to be concerned about. You can safely take things from it if need be or just empty trash.

From somewhere else: "This goes back to System 9 and earlier. It used to be useful- in System 9, if you deleted an item and emptied the trash, you could still recover the file by turning off the computer without shutting down. On restart, the file was recovered in the trash."

So obviously since it's not really harming anyone, it's not on Apples priority list to fix (just like those every returning permission files). But as stated above, I can also see it's usefulness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.