Pages document font corruption

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac11,3
My wife has opened some of her Pages documents today and parts of each document were "corrupted". Some text was OK but some "text" looked like it was multiple wingding font characters overlaid on each other. When I highlighted the affected text and looked at the font it had no font selected. By then selecting a text such as Arial, the text was "restored". Therefore we have a fix for it but wondered if anyone had a similar experience or knew what caused it. Is there any chance the installation of Office for Mac 2011 that I loaded yesterday might be to blame?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There are a few bugs on Office for Mac 2011 that an awaited update will hopefully fix, no solid date when it will be coming out or what it will entail. Hopefully when it does come out that will be the last of your problems.

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there any chance the installation of Office for Mac 2011 that I loaded yesterday might be to blame?

Yes, it's possible. Some users have complained of this while some others including myself have had no problem whatsoever.

When Office 2011 (or 2008) installs, it creates a sub folder below the normal fonts folder. That sub folder is for the Office applications, however, a great many of the fonts that are already present in fonts are duplicated. But with some of the fonts, it's not an exact duplicate in size or content.

What you can do is open your Font Book.app and let it find duplicates. Each duplicate you find, have Font Book resolve it for you. That should take care of any corruption. You can get more info on Office fonts in the Mac Office forum sponsored by Microsoft. LINK

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac11,3
Yes, it's possible. Some users have complained of this while some others including myself have had no problem whatsoever.

When Office 2011 (or 2008) installs, it creates a sub folder below the normal fonts folder. That sub folder is for the Office applications, however, a great many of the fonts that are already present in fonts are duplicated. But with some of the fonts, it's not an exact duplicate in size or content.

What you can do is open your Font Book.app and let it find duplicates. Each duplicate you find, have Font Book resolve it for you. That should take care of any corruption. You can get more info on Office fonts in the Mac Office forum sponsored by Microsoft. LINK
Thanks chscaq for your prompt response. I went through the Fonts and found the duplicates, some I have deleted and then the rest I just disabled in case the delete caused another problem. What do you suggest, disable or delete?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went through the Fonts and found the duplicates, some I have deleted and then the rest I just disabled in case the delete caused another problem. What do you suggest, disable or delete?

It's better to disable them for now. OS X will move them to a separate folder named "Fonts Disabled". You should be OK after doing that.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac11,3
Thanks again, your help is much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.