Applications showing up as volumes?

O

oinkydoodle

Hi all! I am brand new to macs. I've been using my new iBook for about 2 days, so far I love it! However I already have a couple of questions.

I downloaded and installed Microsoft Messenger for Mac and Firefox for Mac successfully and they work. However, instead of going into my Applications folder, each one has set itself up as a volume on my desktop. They even have the volume icon, the thing that looks like a white rectangle with a cd slot on the edge of it??? Hope this makes sense. I can't seem to get rid of those unless I close the applications, and if I open the applications, they pop back up again. It's also annoying me not to have them both in the applications folder, since they are, well, applications. When I double click on the volume icons, the finder window pops up with the actual application's icon in the window, and the "volume" highlighted at the top of the menu on the left.

I hope this makes sense! Can anyone tell me how to fix this? It appears to me that I could simply move the application icon from the "volume" to the application folder, then "eject" the volume. Would this work? If not, what would? I'm still really new and figuring it all out. Thanks!

-Bree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What you want to do is open the volumes and then drag each program into your "Applications" folder. Those volumes are called disk images and many Mac programs a packaged in those, in essence you can imagine them as the CD or Floppy Disk a program comes on. You need to copy the actual program from the disk by dragging it to your Applications folder.

After you do this, you'll be able to get rid of the disk images.

OP
O

oinkydoodle

Ok, I copied by dragging and am happy to report that the applications are now showing up in the Applications folder.

How do I get rid of the disk images for good, and I won't need them anymore right?

Also, one other question, whenever I download a program the download file (in this case, a .dmg file) is put on the desktop also. I've been dragging these to the trash after I'm done installing, this is ok, right??

Thanks for your help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Just drag the disk image to the trash to get rid of it... And yes.. you can drag the DMG there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Sure thing!... and just in case nobody has said this already.... Welcome to the forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.