iMac wont go past grey apple

Reaction score
Hello everybody
sorry if I have posted in the wrong section but im desprate for help here.
Today I went to start up my mac and got to the bit where the grey apple aprears and the spinning gear like thing. also I notied a bar under neath all that not even fill up 1/4 of the way before dissapering. I did searches on the problem and tryed all of the troubleshooting boot up keys but still nothing.
I then put my install dvd in and then nothing happens I try everything the C button on start up the option key and only my mac hdd and windows hdd partition show up.

So now im stuck with a mac that wont load past the grey apple or boot up my install dvd to fix the problem.
Please help

and also im running boot camp with windows 7 on my imac. that partition works fine but.

Thanks in advance
also I dunno if this is a problem but I have snow leopard installed on my imac but my boot dvd is 10.5.6 I dont have the snow leopard dvd

OP
W
Reaction score
sorry mate I couldnt remeber for the life of me the specs it the mac model before the current one the top of the line one with 4gb ram 1tb hdd and a 24inch screen I think it is.
Thanks
ill try those solutions out now but

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Thats all good then, I was bargaining that you had an intel machine and gave you the intel guide for resetting the SMC, hopefully it will work for you.
Post the results

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks man will do could you please explain how to do the SMC restart dont really understand what apples saying on their site lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Basically make sure the computer is off. Unplug the power supply and remove the battery if it is a laptop. Hold down the power button with everything removed for 10 seconds, then replace everything into it and power it back on.

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
nope no luck with any of them man when I did the SMC my imac went really loud like it went into over drive or something that did nothing. wouldnt even load up my windows partition. So I unplugged it for a minute or two that worked but still no mac side working
then tryed the MVRAM and PRAM reset like I already have but again no luck.

What im seeing is Grey apple appears. then a loading bar at the bottom of the screen fills not even a 1/4 of the way up with grey. Then disappears and that little gear like spinning thing appears and then the machine will not go any further.

Thanks for your help but man

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.