Need advice on buy a Mac Laptop. I'm new to Macs

Reaction score
Ok, so I am looking to write an iPhone app so I need a Mac. I went on eBay and I found a ton of Macbooks going for $250-$400.

What is a decent Macbook?

Just looking for some input from you guys on what is a good Mac for a decent price. There are so many out there that I am not sure.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Depends on exactly what you plan on doing on it. If all you're really doing on a computer is surfing the internet & checking e-mail...then one of the older MacBooks for $250-$400 will get the job done just fine.

I know that you said that you wanted to do some Macintosh "app." development...but that depends on what applications you need to run to do that.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Depends on exactly what you plan on doing on it. If all you're really doing on a computer is surfing the internet & checking e-mail...then one of the older MacBooks for $250-$400 will get the job done just fine.

I know that you said that you wanted to do some Macintosh "app." development...but that depends on what applications you need to run to do that.

- Nick

Umm, I need to download the apple sdk and run xcode. I was reading that it has to have leopard 10.0 and have an intel processor.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm, I need to download the apple sdk and run xcode. I was reading that it has to have leopard 10.0 and have an intel processor.

Thanks.

Ummm...Leopard is not 10.0...but 10.5 (latest version 10.5.8)...and the absolute latest OS version is 10.6.6.

All Macintosh computers sold since mid-2006 have Intel processors. If you know the applications that you need to run to develop Macintosh apps...then just research what the system requirements are each of those applications (Apple SDK & X-Code)...and then buy a computer that meets or exceeds the system requirements.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, it needs 10.5, I wasn't sure if it was called leopard or snow leopard.
It also needs an Intel processor.

So basically any Macbook since 06 that has 10.5 will work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically any Macbook since 06 that has 10.5 will work.

Yes...as long as the laptop meets the system requirements for the applications you need to run to develop Macintosh apps.

But personally I would recommend a Macintosh laptop that is capable of being upgraded to 4 gig of ram. And many early Mac laptops with an Intel processor cannot be upgraded to 4 gig of ram.

If you're thinking of buying a used MacBook...I think that you need a MacBook that's from 2007 or newer to be capable of being upgraded to 4 gig of ram. Any new MacBook is capable of 4 gig or more ram.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes...as long as the laptop meets the system requirements for the applications you need to run to develop Macintosh apps.

But personally I would recommend a Macintosh laptop that is capable of being upgraded to 4 gig of ram. And many early Mac laptops with an Intel processor cannot be upgraded to 4 gig of ram.

If you're thinking of buying a used MacBook...I think that you need a MacBook that's from 2007 or newer to be capable of being upgraded to 4 gig of ram. Any new MacBook is capable of 4 gig or more ram.

- Nick

Ok cool, I will keep that in mind when I am looking on eBay.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.