ethernet network, G3-G4

Q

quick print

I have an old tan G3 and just got a G4 silver tower. I want to network them using a crossover ethernet cable. Can somebody tell me how. I've been playing with it and I think my first problem is with the G3, when I go to appletalk control panel and select ethernet, I get message saying "An error occured attempting to use ethernet. Make sure connections are correct".
Could this be an extentions problem, they seem to be on.

The G3 is 9.2 the G4 is OS-X.

Thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Quicksilver and MDD PowerMac G4 models (the only one's that are all-grey colored) have all been equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port, which is auto-sensing and auto-switching.

That simply means that you don't need a crossover cable to connect 2 computer together. It can happen that, when using a crossover cable, you will have trouble to connect. Try to connect them with a straight Ethernet cable.

I am not sure if that's what causes your troubles, but it's worth a try. :cool:

OP
Q

quick print

Actually, I first tried a yellow ethernet cable that I've had for awhile that said "patch" on it. I wasn't sure if it was crossover or not. When it didn't work, I assumed maybe it wasn't a crossover and went and bought one.

Does anyone know if a patch cable is straight conection cable or crossover.

The error message on the G3 is whats bothering me. When I pick another option in appletalk menu such as modem it switches without any error.

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
quick print said:
Actually, I first tried a yellow ethernet cable that I've had for awhile that said "patch" on it. I wasn't sure if it was crossover or not. When it didn't work, I assumed maybe it wasn't a crossover and went and bought one.

Does anyone know if a patch cable is straight conection cable or crossover.

The error message on the G3 is whats bothering me. When I pick another option in appletalk menu such as modem it switches without any error.

thanks

I believe the Patch is a Straight Through cable. You can find out really fast. Look at each end and the color of the wires at the end of the plug. On each end are the colors in exactly the same place? If so it's a Straight through cable. If the colors are backwards on the one end, it's a crossover. On most store bought Ethernet cables these days, the first pair of wires is usually Orange/White Orange. Both ends should be the same for a straight cable.

On your problem on the G3 I am not sure. That error bothers me also. It's been a long time since I got that error under os9 or before. I am just wondering if it's not finding the network card in the G3. Let me do some checking on an old Mac I have here with OS9 and get back to you.

Be sure DHCP is turned on under TCP/IP. OSX is usually that way by default.

Open the TCP/IP Control Panel and be sure the connect Via is set to ethernet and the Configure is set at Using DHCP Server. Then try opening the AppleTalk Panel and selecting Ethernet. Make sure the Crossover cable is connected and the other mac with OSX is turned on.

What G4 is your G4? You say Sliver. Do you know the basic specs like CPU speed? The newer G4's like has been said are auto sensing and can use either cable, but the older ones like the Yikes and Sawtooth's need a Crossover cable.

OP
Q

quick print

The computers at work, so I won't have any more specs til Monday morning, but i'll post them first thing.
Thanks

OP
Q

quick print

I don't know what CPU speed is. The computer is year 2001 or 2. date in manual says Feb., 2002. It is 933Mhz. Manual specs for ethernet says Channel speeds: IEEE auto negotiation of 10base-TX, 100 Base and 1000 Base.
Both cables I have are cross-over, so I have not tried a straight cable.
Set TCP/IP on G3 like you said (although I didn't have a DHCP Client ID), but still says error in when I switch to ethernet in aplletalk control panel.

with the error message, I don't know if cahnging cables will do anything, but I'll try.

Any other suggestions.

OP
Q

quick print

Can somebody give me a ptep-by-step from beginning on how to network these two. I'm self taught on computers over the past ten years, so I could of screwed up early on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.