First time MAC owner checking in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
After 20+ years I decided to buy the new 27" iMAC. So for my first post I have a few questions as I wait for the FedEx driver to deliver my new iMAC.

I bought it with the base RAM configuration:4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM with two 2GB simms. Of course I want to increase that to 8 or more.

Found this source - Computer memory upgrades for Apple iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2010 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

Q1. Can I buy two 4GB simms and install them with the two 2GB simms it shipped with for a total of 12GB of RAM?

I also need to run Windows apps and plan on using BootCamp to partition the MAC's HD so I can install and run Win7.

Q2: How much of the 1TB should I use and can I adjust it later?

I will need to transfer ALL the files now on my PC. I have all of them backed up on an external HD.

Q3. Can I just USB the HD to the MAC and drag the files to the respective folders on the MAC? Any tips, suggestions or cautions I should know?

By way if introduction, I'm retired USAF and a Corvette enthausist.

Here's my weekend toy
RoadAmerica10003.jpg

Looking forward with life with a MAC after shopping and test driving them for the last year.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
1) Yes, you can use that memory for a 12 GB total.
2) This depends a lot on what you are going to use on Windows side versus Mac. I would give the Mac priority - 600/400 - that's just me. Especially consider whether you will have a photo or video library - big space users. Re-allocating partitions isn't that common on Macs - I've never done it and don't have the software that can do it.
3) Yes, you should be able to copy files from any USB drive.

That's probably more personal info than I would give - but I'm af_ret, too!!!

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
1) Yes, you can use that memory for a 12 GB total.
2) This depends a lot on what you are going to use on Windows side versus Mac. I would give the Mac priority - 600/400 - that's just me. Especially consider whether you will have a photo or video library - big space users. Re-allocating partitions isn't that common on Macs - I've never done it and don't have the software that can do it.
3) Yes, you should be able to copy files from any USB drive.

That's probably more personal info than I would give - but I'm af_ret, too!!!

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I just ordered two 4GB simms and hopefully they will arrive before the iMAC does.

The Windows partition will be used for MS Access and Project and some gaming. My music and photo's will be on the MAC side.

Cheers

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.