Mini display port to vga not working

Reaction score
Hey i'm trying to connect my macbook pro to a samsung lcd screen i believe its a hdmi as it has a hdmi sticker on the front

im using a mini display port connected to my macbook and then have it connected to the back of my laptop it doesn't seem to be working at first it had a blue screen and now its just saying ''check signal cable''

Please help

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'm sorry i'm getting a bit confused here. You say it's HDMI, now hdmi is just an input/output means of displaying video and audio in high definition.
Also you say you have the minidisplay port connected to your macbook and then have it connected to the back of your laptop?!?!?!?!?

- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm sorry i'm getting a bit confused here. You say it's HDMI, now hdmi is just an input/output means of displaying video and audio in high definition.
Also you say you have the minidisplay port connected to your macbook and then have it connected to the back of your laptop?!?!?!?!?

- Simon

Hey i have the mini display port to vga connected to my samsung lcd into the ''pc'' section which is a vga port i believe

i just tried to connect it to a hp monitor for a pc and it worked... i also have previously connected a pc to the same monitor just using all the vga plug that use to connect with the monitor that came with the pc connecting it to the lcd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you tried connecting it to the tv, then going to System Prefs > Displays and changing the tv resolution to 1024x768? just to see if it will pick up the signal with that resolution?

- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
I just plugged it in and its working changed it to your settings and i cant see the dock or anything like that?

thanks for your help so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the same place in system prefs and click on "mirror displays" in the arrangement tab.

- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks that"s got the dock working good it still look not good quality like its not using the picture quality potential of the display to the max?

could this be something to do with the hurts or something like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will have to mess around with the resolution to find which one works best
- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay thanks

when i turn it on it has a blue screen? and wont go to the computer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resolution isn't supported when that happens, just unplug the cable and re-connect to make it go do a default setting.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.