• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iphone 5 to be GSM and CDMA capable on same handset

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
1080p would be nice, don't know about the SD card slot though, I think they will be worried about new ways of "cracking" the device and putting 3rd party software on it with that kind of access to it. IMO

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hmmm… if the iPhone 5 truly is dual GSM/CDMA, this could be a huge win for consumers. Throw Sprint and T-Mobile into the mix finally, and there potentially would be 4 carriers with iPhone plan pricing fighting to pull customers in from each other now that we could freely move from one to another and not have to buy yet another phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm kind of doubting it will be dual GSM/CDMA simply due to cost and the fact that there is absolutely no need to make a handset like that since outside of the US and a few Asian countries the rest of the world is all on GSM. Why include the extra cost of CDMA in the iPhone 5 when a majority of iPhone 5's sold around the world won't need it?

Reaction score
I'm kind of doubting it will be dual GSM/CDMA simply due to cost and the fact that there is absolutely no need to make a handset like that since outside of the US and a few Asian countries the rest of the world is all on GSM. Why include the extra cost of CDMA in the iPhone 5 when a majority of iPhone 5's sold around the world won't need it?

I believe at least 2 or 3 Canadian carriers also support CDMA (not saying that would change the whole equation, but it would make more canadians happy ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It would certainly simplify production if one phone chassis could accommodate CDMA, GSM and both CDMA and GSM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Majority of the world by geography may be GSM - but two very large markets(by number of people), India and China, use CDMA as well. Secondly, although having a dual chipset may be expensive - the reports are they will be using a Qualcomm chip that does both GSM/CDMA so it isn't like it is multiple chips anymore.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, let's not forget Japan. They are strictly CDMA. The Japanese are famous for buying new things plus they have the money. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I imagine it's because this wont' be the only time they'll need dual chipsets. First it's GSM and CDMA, next it's going to be LTE plus GSM and/or CDMA (can't have just a pure LTE phone, will need backwards compatibility with current gen tech as LTE continues to roll out). I imagine it will be many years before the switch is made to LTE only. This explains the switch to Qualcomm, they're really good at making hybrid chipsets.

Plus it makes things easier for Apple as they won't have to worry about additional SKUs since the single model can work on both Verizon and AT&T. This goes for both the iPhone and the iPad.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I heard it's going to have a flux capacitor too. So, not only will it be able to replace your navigation system, but also your time machine. I knew there was a reason that Apple called their backup utility that! Can't wait to get mine so that I can see what the iPhone 25G will be like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For grins I just read the AT&T 4G FAQ:

What is HSPA+; and what is LTE?

Question:
What is HSPA+; and what is LTE?
Answer:
AT&T recently upgraded the software of its mobile broadband network to HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access). When HSPA+ is combined with enhanced backhaul, AT&T’s already fast mobile broadband network will deliver even faster speeds.

This evolution sets the stage for another 4G speed upgrade later this year when AT&T begins the planned initial deployment of its LTE (Long Term Evolution) network in mid-2011. Once completed, AT&T will be the only carrier to offer two layers of network technology delivering 4G speeds: HSPA+ and LTE.

Answer Center | AT&T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I heard it's going to have a flux capacitor too. So, not only will it be able to replace your navigation system, but also your time machine. I knew there was a reason that Apple called their backup utility that! Can't wait to get mine so that I can see what the iPhone 25G will be like.

Are you telling me then that the battery will be able to store 1.21 gigawatts of power?!?!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you telling me then that the battery will be able to store 1.21 gigawatts of power?!?!

Indeed. It has an on-board Mr. Fusion.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Sure they'll reverse engineer the flux capacitor and shrink it down to iphone size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.