iphoto. How to make changes permanent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched briefly but the word 'Permanent' brings up a million threads.

I like the changes I made to the pics. How can I commit those changes permanently? When I copy the pics, they are the same ones i loaded in iphoto.

thanks!
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What sort of changes do you mean?
When you edit and crop, or add enhancements in iPhoto, once you click the done button that's it, it saves what you have done, which is why I work on duplicates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
iPhoto uses nondestructive editing which preserves the original version and applies changes to a copy. Unless you delete the original version you can select "Revert To Original" from the Photos menu item to, as the name implies, revert to the original copy.

You can capture the edited version by selecting Export from the File menu. Export will export the edited version and not the original version of the photo.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
iPhoto uses nondestructive editing which preserves the original version and applies changes to a copy. Unless you delete the original version you can select "Revert To Original" from the Photos menu item to, as the name implies, revert to the original copy.

You can capture the edited version by selecting Export from the File menu. Export will export the edited version and not the original version of the photo.

Yeah, I figured out how the 'export' works. so, that is the only way to do it then. I guess that should be allright. Thanks for the reply! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Just select the photo you want to keep and drag it from iPhoto to the desktop. If you have made an changes to the original in iPhoto you will now have the original as shot and a version with any changes in iPhoto plus a copy of the changed version on the desktop (which you can then play with in Photoshop etc. without damaging anything in iPhoto)..

You could also go to your Pictures folder, select the iPhoto library, right click and select show package contents. You will then find all your pictures in folders names Masters, Modified and Previews (just to prove that iPhoto does not destroy the originals.

C

chas_m

WARNING: Do ***NOT*** mess around or make changes to the iPhoto Library package!! You WILL lose photos and generally mess yourself up if you do.

First of all, if I may be blunt, it is DUMB to want to remove the original under ANY circumstances. That original photo is taking up almost NO appreciable space on your hard drive. Leave it alone.

Once you've modified a photo in iPhoto, that is the one that will be exported or dragged out to the desktop, which are the two CORRECT ways to make a copy of a photo in iPhoto, so this really should be a non-issue to anyone using iPhoto properly. The modified photo will ALWAYS be the one copied/exported or available to other programs UNLESS you "revert to original."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.