One 5770 or paired with a X1900

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here so my apologizes if this is a stupid question. I'm currently running a Mac Pro 1.1 with 2.66 dual cores. I've bought a ATI 5770 as a video card upgrade to this machine, I run mostly Aperture for photo editing so nothing extreme really. It's also got an X1900 (Soon to be replaced by an 8800GT I believe from Apple) and I'm wondering as I'm running triple 21.5" displays (Currently my centre is ran from the 5770 and the two secondary off the X1900) is it better to run them this way or to simply run all three from the 5770. Also for triple monitor gaming (I do VERY little) is it able to be done from one single card, or multiple cards. Or is an external unit such as the Triple Head 2 Go needed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure I can be of much help with the overall question but I do have a suggestion for something to ask. There are similar devices on the market which connect anywhere from one to three external monitors to a computer. Some play nice with the Mac and some may not due to lack of drivers.

The other issue which pops up from time to time is a lack of full Open GL support. That may not seem like a big deal but Open GL is sometimes involved in something as basic as applying effects to photos in iPhoto.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.