Setting up a network between my imac and macbook pro

Reaction score
We bought the new imac about a year ago and so far we mainly use it for surfing the web, iphoto, and school work. I just bought the macbook pro yesterday so that I can do my school work away from home. I have mobile me set up so sharing files is very easy.

I would like to see the photos on my imac's library. Do I need to copy over the photos I want onto the mac book pro or can I simply access the imac's photo's through a wireless network? I really do not want copies of the photos on both computers.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Go into System Preferences>Sharing. Make sure file sharing is on, check the boxes of whatever it is you want to share, and even specify which folders to share. When both Macs are on, they can "see" each other in Finder.
Someone can correct me on this one, but I'm about 90% sure that both machines have to be set up on the same network (using the same router) and the router has to be on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.