Need some help with Openoffice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 Inch, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram, Mac OS X ver 10.6.6
Hi there

I need some help with OpenOffice here.

1) I have installed OpenOffice on my iMac but when I tried to use Database, it keeps prompting the message "OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.org" Is there something wrong with my installation? I have tried it several times

2) I would also like to check whether Database is compatible with MS Access as in both can read and write each other files?

Appreciate some advise. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I had the same problem when I first tried using Text.

I think you need this.

But wait and see if anyone with a lot more experience than I with Macs says I'm wrong before giving that solution a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
OpenOffice Java workaround

I have found a java fix for Open office that must be applied for it to work until a fix is implemented..

Raphael Bircher

Reaction score
I have found a java fix for Open office that must be applied for it to work until a fix is implemented..

Raphael Bircher

I thought that the OO developers left after the recent changes. So now things moved to LibreOffice. Which doesn't seem to run into the same issue supposedly as it's development continues...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice. They look almost identical??

Reaction score
What's the difference between OpenOffice and LibreOffice. They look almost identical??

It's hard to tell from the outside. But supposedly all or most of the developers left Open Office due to open source concerns / redirection by the powers that be.

So they went to ~LibreOffice…you can get a partial sense of some of this from the FAQ section on their site.

Does it mean that OO will stagnate or lose updates or become better than ever? Is Libre just OO continued?

I dunno. I have OO, Libre, NeoOffice (Mac-ified OO), iWork, Office 2007, and others LOL.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI Stanley

Since you have so many office suites, can you tell me whether your documents are compatible from one program to the other?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.