Office 2010 (WIN) vs. Office 2011 (Mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I've just installed Office 2011 for Mac. To my great surprise, the ribbons in the programs are different from those of their Windows counterparts. But what IS really annoying is that in the Mac versions of Office programs, one cannot perform certain tasks without reverting to the use of menus! For example, I can insert a citation using the ribbon in Word, but I have to use a menu item to generate an index of figures - that's downright stupid. Is there a good resource somewhere on the internet that would describe these differences between Mac and Windows versions of Office? I haven't found anything yet and I need it badly... :(

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just installed Office 2011 for Mac. To my great surprise, the ribbons in the programs are different from those of their Windows counterparts. But what IS really annoying is that in the Mac versions of Office programs, one cannot perform certain tasks without reverting to the use of menus! For example, I can insert a citation using the ribbon in Word, but I have to use a menu item to generate an index of figures - that's downright stupid. Is there a good resource somewhere on the internet that would describe these differences between Mac and Windows versions of Office? I haven't found anything yet and I need it badly... :(

Is solver still a Mac Excel issue in 2011? Did they add it or are there good add-ins? Thanks.

Reaction score
Get Started with Office for Mac 2011 | Office for Mac

See the "Learning Roadmap" on that page, for each app respectively. It isn't a great resource comparing Mac to Windows, but it's a good resource for getting a glimpse of how Office apps are organized on the Mac.

The issue with Office for Mac is that it's developed by an own, almost isolated Team at Microsoft. Their Approach is to make a version of Office that caters to the specific need of "Mac people" (= artsy-fartsy dudes who don't do "real" work) according to Microsoft. The better approach would be to just write a one-to-one copy of Windows Office in Cocoa. But they won't do that, will they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, you have to "revert" to the use of clearly-labeled, searchable menu commands instead of huge, abstract toolbar buttons.

It's true that Microsoft makes some odd decisions about how to organize Office, but the fundamental truth of it is that the Mac version of Office is different from the Windows version of Office because the Mac is different from Windows. If you're looking for a Windows interface, you bought the wrong type of computer.

Reaction score
If you're looking for a Windows interface, you bought the wrong type of computer.

I don't think it would be fair to demand the Windows Office UI on the Mac, because as you said, a Mac is different and the Application should integrate with the OS to deliver a superior experience.

But I'm not asking for the UI, I think it would just be great if there were some level of coherence between Windows and Mac versions. The ribbon is a good innovation (and I'm all for UI innovation when it adds value), and all ribbon items are still accessible (and searchable) through the Menubar. But instead of copying the structure, they came up with a completely new structure, which has nothing to do with the Mac, but with rather bewildering assumptions on Microsoft's part that people using a Mac work differently.

There are details that are just unfathomable: Why is the Filter view on a Mac a "Black Glass" modal view and a regular dropdown on Windows? It goes on and on...

Reaction score
What is the best office suite that is 100% or close to the same on Macs & PCs? Possibly Open Office or Libre Office?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the best office suite that is 100% or close to the same on Macs & PCs? Possibly Open Office or Libre Office?

None are 100% close. The closest you're going to get is by using MS Office.

There are definitely differences (as the other replies pointed out) but nothing IMO would make me switch to an inferior office suite which I consider the others to be.

Reaction score
None are 100% close. The closest you're going to get is by using MS Office.

There are definitely differences (as the other replies pointed out) but nothing IMO would make me switch to an inferior office suite which I consider the others to be.

I thought there might be something pretty close.

Closest I can see across all platforms may be the web/cloud based options. Such as Google Docs and MS Live Skydrive/~Office. They should operate IDENTICALLY on Windows or Mac or ? machines if not for browser settings / peculiarities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Office 2011 on the mac just plain sucks, I cant believe Outlook wont even sync with ical, what a joke.
Very poor relative to the PC version

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind that Outlook 2011 for the Mac is a new application, version 1.0. You can not compare it to Outlook on the PC which has been a mainstay for years.

I don't use Outlook either on our Mac nor the PCs we own, however, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint work well, just as well as they do in Office 2010. As I mentioned above there are differences and Office 2011 can be improved, but what application can't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Office 2011 on the mac just plain sucks, I cant believe Outlook wont even sync with ical, what a joke.
Very poor relative to the PC version
Well, the PC version doesn't sync with iCal, either.

(Seriously...iCal or Outlook, pick one...there's no reason to use both.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Well, the PC version doesn't sync with iCal, either.

(Seriously...iCal or Outlook, pick one...there's no reason to use both.)

The point is of course not only does it not sync ical but it wont sync with your phone therefore useless, just google outlook 2011 wont sync with phone or google and youll see what i mean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Entire thread moved here to OS X applications where it belongs. Does not belong in Switcher.

Reaction score
I posted a thread elsewhere, but this touches on my question so I'll add it here as well:

Are there major FUNCTIONALITY differences between Office 2010 for Windows and office 2011 for Mac? I plan on installing Bootcamp regardless, so I'm debating between which version to eventually install.

For example, I believe that, for a time at least, macros were an issue with Office 2007 for Macs. Are there comparable issues with Office 2011?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going to install Windows anyway via Boot Camp and already have a copy of Office 2010, I recommend the Windows version of Office.

And yes, Mac Office 2011 now supports macros. And has inherited the ribbon from its Windows cousin.

Reaction score
The biggest lost of functionality for me after switching is that you can't edit an Exchange public calendar. We do all our scheduling via public calendars, so ultimately I am forced back to using Office 2010 for Windows via Fusion.

I understand MS is trying to move away from Public Folders eventually, but why give the functionality in 2010 but not 2011?

Anyone have any good work arounds for this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.