Mac OS X installation not working for 15'' Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have the earlier version of the 15'' Macbook Pro. This is a secondhand laptop that I bought from craigslist, and unfortunately I thought didnt come with its own Mac OS X installation CD or the Application installation CD. But my brother owns the more recent version of the Macbook Pro, so he let me borrow his Mac OS X installation disk.

My Mac has been running incredibly slow and I wanted the entire computer to be good as new... so I decided to try and reformat it in order to erase EVERYTHING and then install Mac OS X again, and the Applications CD that also came with my brother's mac. So I inserted the CD, hit C when the computer restarted, and 'erased' whatever was in my computer.

When I tried to install it though, it said, "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"
So.... I thought everything would've been simple but I guess I screwed up because when I did a little research I found out that its not possible to install a Mac OS X CD from his model to my model.

Okay. So the Mac OS X CD that my brother owns was the simple grey CD. Turns out the original owner did include the Snow Leopard CD. At this point, I already erased everything, so if I dont insert anything and I let the computer start up normally, I get a flashing question mark. So if I insert the CD that the computer came with, then it stays inside the laptop for about 5 minutes, then it spits it out. Then again, if I insert the CD, start up the laptop and hold down C, it spits it out again after about 5 minutes. (This also happens if I insert the CD as I start up the laptop)

I wasnt sure if the CD was actually legit, so I inserted it in my brother's laptop, and it actually is a working Mac OS X Snow Leopard CD. My laptop just.. isnt accepting it. It doesnt even say, "Mac OS X cannot be installed in this computer." or it doesnt show the Disk Utilities start up or anything. Its just blank, spit out, forward to flashing question mark.

Im stumped. Please help me.

Thanks everyone. I'm an idiot. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That will never work as the silver/gray discs are extremely model specific and it is illegal to use someone else's discs anyway. Is the Snow Leopard disc you are referring to also silver/gray? If so same problem. The flashing question mark is telling you there is no operating system on the machine after you erased the drive.

Go to the Apple online store and purchase your own Snow Leopard disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.