Value of you year old unibody with fried hard drive

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a friends unibody macbook. His hard drive is fried. It has the 2.4 core duo. I am wanting to run 8 gb of ram and 500 gb hard drive on it. I currently run a black mac book with 2.16 core duo and I can only run 3 gb of ram.

So what do you think the value of the 1 year old unibody mac book is? With a fried hard drive? I am not trying to pull one over his head, but I am not looking to fund his entire purchase of a new one.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

OE

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A new HD is gonna run you about $100-150 depending on size..so subtract that from the price you get assuming that there's no other damage...

That's exactly what I was going to say...you beat me to it!;)

To the OP...a "fried hard drive" is not a reason to drastically reduce the value of a MacBook. Just the cost of the replacement hard drive. Actually replacing the hard drive is VERY easy...so there isn't even the cost of having the HD installed to consider (labor).:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is a logic board? He said something about that, the mother board?

I hate to say it...but if you have to ask what a logic board/motherboard is in a computer...maybe you shouldn't be asking! It's sort of like asking...what's an engine in a pickup truck!;)

But to answer your question...it's probably the most expensive part of a laptop computer (it's the part with all of the electronics on it)...and in a MacBook they probably cost about $600-$700 bucks.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Oefootball70
Reaction score
I have never heard the term logic board used before. I guess thats what I get for living in the mid west.

I have done a couple read ups/how too on a logic board install on these laptops. Doesn't seem terrible. Just a little time consuming. I hope that is what the problem is. I will offer him 50 bucks. Because they cost 600-700 ish dollars. And the laptop brand new is 999. Find a used broken screen laptop swap it over and call it a day. That would be nice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never heard the term logic board used before. I guess thats what I get for living in the mid west.

I have done a couple read ups/how too on a logic board install on these laptops. Doesn't seem terrible. Just a little time consuming. I hope that is what the problem is. I will offer him 50 bucks. Because they cost 600-700 ish dollars. And the laptop brand new is 999. Find a used broken screen laptop swap it over and call it a day. That would be nice.

Yeah...the terms logic board & motherboard are pretty much interchangeable.:)

Your initial post only mentioned the possible bad hard drive...then later on you mentioned a bad logic board...a MUCH BIGGER issue!:( To be honest...if you can get it for $50 bucks...that would be a great price for a "parts computer"...but I'm really not sure it's worth spending $600-$700 for a logic board. By the time you're done...you're going to have spent $650-$750 on a computer that maybe is worth $950 (depending which model it is)...there are two different 2.4ghz unibody MacBooks.

Yes I agree. If you could find a similar busted unibody MacBook with a bad screen (but a good logic board)...you would be in GREAT shape!:)

If you don't completely know how to do the logic board swap...got to iFixit, and see if they have a DIY procedure.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. I saw your message regarding your signature. In case it helps...here are some Mac-Forums Community Guidelines...which include the formatting limitations for signatures.

Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : Community Suggestions and Feedback

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No more sig. Keep people happy. Sorry if my truck offended anyone....

Thanks for your cooperation.... and I did receive your PM answering mine. BTW, you did not have to remove it completely; reducing the size would have been fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.