Cannot empty trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.3Ghz 10.6.4
Hello all,
I've been having a hard time trying to empty my trash bin and every time I try I always get a message like this:

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003).

Since I moved all my time machine backup files to the trash bin and tried to delete them, I cannot whatsoever delete those files neither any others that I place there.

I set up a new HD for my time machine, and I'm not using the same one anymore so it might be related but this happen after I moved the files from the other HD to the trash bin and then set up a new location for the backups.
I also tried disk utility and repair permissions and more than once that I see my trash becoming empty. open it and it really is but after a re-boot, all the files seems to appear again.

Help please!!!

Thanks

PS: Snow Leopard is my OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try moving the files out of the trash bin, rebooting, moving them into the trash bin and emptying again. Sounds stupid but you have no idea how many times this has worked.

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try moving the files out of the trash bin, rebooting, moving them into the trash bin and emptying again. Sounds stupid but you have no idea how many times this has worked.

- Simon

Thanks Simon,

I should have mentioned it too...I tried to move the files to different locations and put them back on the trash...no result :(

Thanks for helping anyway

P

Oh and that's not all...I end up with doubling the files in my trash bin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have to ask but why not use erase in disk utility?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to ask but why not use erase in disk utility?

I'm not too sure if I understand what you mean?
Doesn't Erase in disk utility delete all the contents of my HD?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I'm not too sure if I understand what you mean?
Doesn't Erase in disk utility delete all the contents of my HD?

Cheers

I re read your post and I guess it was late thought you were trying to get files
trashed on old hard drive . there are 2 other options that have worked for others a program called Trash-It and sometimes when you do a permission repair on an
external drive it will allow you to empty the trash. Then there is put the trash contents on the desktop and trash a file one at a time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I re read your post and I guess it was late thought you were trying to get files
trashed on old hard drive . there are 2 other options that have worked for others a program called Trash-It and sometimes when you do a permission repair on an
external drive it will allow you to empty the trash. Then there is put the trash contents on the desktop and trash a file one at a time.

Wicked,
Trash-It worked fine...none of the others did though.

Thanks for the help

Case closed!!!

Pedro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.