Mac Mini now shipping without and internal modem?

E

elocs

Is this really true? Is seems to me to be kind of a boneheaded move by Apple to save $29. They add ram and then eliminate the internal modem?
I just read of somebody who was anxiously awaiting delivery of their Mac Mini from Outpost only to find it lacking the 56k modem she needed and then she will have to wait a couple of weeks to get it sorted out. There's a plug for going to a b&m store if I ever heard one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
elocs said:
Is this really true? Is seems to me to be kind of a boneheaded move by Apple to save $29. They add ram and then eliminate the internal modem?
The base model (1.25 GHz) does have a 56k modem standard.
The 1.42 GHz models have the 56k modem as an option. Apple isn't doing this to save money per se, its just that more and more people are on Broadband. One can still be added if it is absolutely needed. The 56k modem is starting to go the way of the dinosaur, my friend.
Apple is just getting with the times. This is not much different from when Apple decided to stop putting floppy disk drives in machines. They are very seldom used, and there are much better alternatives available. :black:

I just read of somebody who was anxiously awaiting delivery of their Mac Mini from Outpost only to find it lacking the 56k modem she needed and then she will have to wait a couple of weeks to get it sorted out. There's a plug for going to a b&m store if I ever heard one.
Now really, is that Apple's fault or the online retailer's fault? How about the person who actually ordered it?? You shouldn't buy anything if you are not 100% sure of what you are getting before you buy it, ESPECIALLY when it comes to computers. There is no fault on the manufacturer or retailer here.

OP
E

elocs

D3v1L80Y said:
The base model (1.25 GHz) does have a 56k modem standard.
The 1.42 GHz models have the 56k modem as an option. Apple isn't doing this to save money per se, its just that more and more people are on Broadband. One can still be added if it is absolutely needed. The 56k modem is starting to go the way of the dinosaur, my friend.
Apple is just getting with the times. This is not much different from when Apple decided to stop putting floppy disk drives in machines. They are very seldom used, and there are much better alternatives available. :black:

Now really, is that Apple's fault or the online retailer's fault? How about the person who actually ordered it?? You shouldn't buy anything if you are not 100% sure of what you are getting before you buy it, ESPECIALLY when it comes to computers. There is no fault on the manufacturer or retailer here.

I could understand that except when you consider
what the target group is for the Mini: quite likely an older pc user or a first time switcher and also probably not somebody with broadband.
It's like tv: lots have cable and satellite, but I get my hd programming free and over the air using an antenna. Either way, I get my Mini a month ago and it has the internal 56k modem I need, but somebody now orders one and doesn't get the modem they need. Should she have read more carefully or should Apple have been more upfront about a change that occurred only a few weeks ago? I know which of those choices makes more sense from a PR point of view and it costs Apple nothing to do it.

OP
F

Fallooza

i looked on apples site, and i dont know how much more upfront it could be?

Reaction score
if u actually read through the specs like a normal computer buyer does, u see hmmm why does it say i have to upgrade to a modem? then common sense kicks in and you're like oh it must not come with one. Pretty straight forward. and if the person ordered the upgraded mini that was obviously a waste of money if they weren't going to be using the wireless that came with it in the first place.

OP
E

elocs

rmhop81 said:
if u actually read through the specs like a normal computer buyer does, u see hmmm why does it say i have to upgrade to a modem? then common sense kicks in and you're like oh it must not come with one. Pretty straight forward. and if the person ordered the upgraded mini that was obviously a waste of money if they weren't going to be using the wireless that came with it in the first place.

Apple certainly wanted to tout that the Mini now came with 512 mb of RAM way upfront, but you have to read quite a ways to see that there is no 56k modem included. I can see this from the point of view of the person who has looked at the Mini over the past month and was familiar with the old specs and then hears "oh boy, they've doubled the RAM", but doesn't hear as loudly about no 56k modem included. That could very well have been me and I am sorry that you apparently cannot even remotely understand that point. In another month from now these new specs are probably the only ones the newer shopper will have seen, so there will be no confusion. If one wants a "so sad, too bad" attitude you might as well go to Microsoft. Apple should be different.

OP
W

woof

still if you want to send and get faxes it still a goog idea to have a modem ! but as for its internet use blah is useless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I also think that it is an odd move by apple..

ALL of their machines come with a modem, EXCEPT the premium model mac mini? Makes no sense to me...

Either make it optional on all mac minis or make it standard. This way is just confusing for the consumer...

Actually I bet they will make it optional on all models as soon as they run out of motherboards with the modem already included...

Still a silly move IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
It is a silly move, definitely. The Mac mini is a consumer level computer, and as such should have the modem on all models. There are still millions of people worldwide that either can't have broadband because of technical reasons, or simply because they can't afford it (broadband isn't cheap everywhere...).

The PowerMacs have the modem optional as well...a modem is not needed in a computer that mainly is meant for professional use.

Now about Apple not making a big deal about it, well, they CLEARLY state on their page that the modem is optional on the two top models. So there's nothing to rant about...check what you buy, before you buy it, it's as simple as that. You should never buy anything based on specs that you have seen some time before, especially computers, where specs change all the time.

By the way, the modem is a separate module, on all Macs (including the 'Books)...it is not integrated in the mainboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Aptmunich said:
Well I also think that it is an odd move by apple..

ALL of their machines come with a modem, EXCEPT the premium model mac mini? Makes no sense to me...

None of the Power Macs come with them standard either, it is an option to add one if desired.

Apple said:
All Power Mac G5 systems with dual processors ship without a modem. Alternatively, an Authorized Service Provider can install an internal modem module for Power Mac G5 if desired (separate charges apply).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think most of the posters who think it is silly to get rid of the modem, and that it is a bad idea to do so, really don't remember the uproar of what happened in 1997-98 when Apple started to phase out floppy disk drives.

Everyone...and I mean everyone thought Apple had lost their minds and that the company was insane for doing this. How could they get rid of such an integral part of the computer? What were they thinking? What a bunch of idiots they are....what a bad idea...etc.
In the end, did it hurt Apple? Not really. When was the last time anyone here used a floppy drive on their Mac? Does anyone here really miss it all that much? I would think that if anyone does, they would be the minority.

The very same things said about the floppy drives are now saying about the move to phase out (or at least move it to an opt in only feature) the antiquated 56k modem.
Is this going to hurt Apple? Again, not really. I believe that it is a smart move, and one of foresight on Apple's behalf. With broadband subscribers rising each and every day, the 56k modem will likely never be used. Why bother making it standard then? While I cannot speak for others, I personally have not had the need for a 56k modem in over 5 years. I know there are many other people in the same situation. Now it isn't as if Apple is totally doing away with the ancient 56k, you can still have it on any Mac you want. You just need to be sure to assess your needs, and add it if it is needed.

OP
H

Harryc

You just need to be sure to assess your needs, and add it if it is needed.
Yeah and be sure that you really want the mini too. If you add any option to it(like a modem) you cannot return it if you decide that you don't like it or if Apple releases an upgraded model and you decide you want that instead. This applies within 14 days of shipment. Take it from someone who learned the hard way. I will never buy an option from Apple on a new machine, and I will discourage others from doing the same every opportunity that I get. Get a USB modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
D3v1L80Y said:
I think most of the posters who think it is silly to get rid of the modem, and that it is a bad idea to do so, really don't remember the uproar of what happened in 1997-98 when Apple started to phase out floppy disk drives.

Everyone...and I mean everyone thought Apple had lost their minds and that the company was insane for doing this. How could they get rid of such an integral part of the computer? What were they thinking? What a bunch of idiots they are....what a bad idea...etc.
In the end, did it hurt Apple? Not really. When was the last time anyone here used a floppy drive on their Mac? Does anyone here really miss it all that much? I would think that if anyone does, they would be the minority.

The very same things said about the floppy drives are now saying about the move to phase out (or at least move it to an opt in only feature) the antiquated 56k modem.
Is this going to hurt Apple? Again, not really. I believe that it is a smart move, and one of foresight on Apple's behalf. With broadband subscribers rising each and every day, the 56k modem will likely never be used. Why bother making it standard then? While I cannot speak for others, I personally have not had the need for a 56k modem in over 5 years. I know there are many other people in the same situation. Now it isn't as if Apple is totally doing away with the ancient 56k, you can still have it on any Mac you want. You just need to be sure to assess your needs, and add it if it is needed.

You would be very surprised how much people still don't use broadband. Yes, it's rising, and surely become standard pretty soon...but it's not yet the case for every country, and every region.
But, as you said, you can still have it optionally, so it's not that big of a deal.
What's silly is not the fact to make it optional...but to have it included in a lower model, and making it optional in a higher, more expensive model. It's not the price of the modem that would make a big diff...they sell it at $30, but production cost to build it in is only a few bucks.
And every other consumer Mac (eMac, iMac, iBook) has it still build in, no matter if low or high end of the line...that makes this move look so silly.

Reaction score
I don't see it as a problem. I never used the modem in mine. I would have rather had the wireless options instead of a modem.

OP
E

elocs

mynameis said:
I don't see it as a problem. I never used the modem in mine. I would have rather had the wireless options instead of a modem.

That's good for you, but what about the people who cannot get broadband cable or dsl? What about people who buy the Mini as their entry level Mac (for which it is intended) and do not need broadband or want to spend an extra $300 a year to have it? The point is not whether Apple is silly or not to eliminate the modem, but that they should have that information as upfront as the other new info like the increase in ram. Especially in the first month or two. I have now read of 2 people who got a Mini and needed a modem, but didn't know that it now only came as an option. One bought from Outpost.com and the other from MacMall. I checked the Outpost Mini ad and it does say it comes with a 56k modem. If I have heard of two instances of this, then how many possibly hundreds are out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked Outpost as well as MacMall. Well, what I saw is that they both are selling the old as well as the new 1.42GHz model. And it's true that you really have to carefully look through the details to see that one comes with, and the other one without Modem.
MacMall at least shows the difference by marking them as "New!".

While I would understand if your rant was against Outpost and MacMall, or maybe any other online shop, I don't see why you're accusing Apple for not showing that info upfront...
Because on the Apple store, on the page where you choose which model of Mac mini you want to buy, it is clearly written that the modem is optional on the 1.42GHz models, just as clearly as the 512MB of memory. (See Falooza's pics above)

I agree that the other online stores should mark that more clearly, but I don't see why this would be Apple's fault.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I completely agree with Avalon on your main point. If you have a gripe with anyone, it should be Outpost or any other store that does not clearly show that the modem is optional on the 1.42Ghz Mini. Apple clearly shows it's an option. If anyone makes a mistake on the Apple Store site, it's their fault for not reading as it's very clear.

I am kind of for the Mini having a modem as it's the lowest cost Mac out there, and people who buy it might need the modem, but it's not like you can't get the 1.42 model with a modem. All you have to do it order it.

I believe though in the not to distant future, modems will be a thing of the past. I sympthize with the poor that can not afford Broadband as yet, but it's coming down all the time and in more areas too. It's just a matter of time and the Modem will be gone. In the mean time, You can get the Mini with a modem. It's the job of Outpost and other stores to make it clear what the system comes with. Apple is doing a great job on their site.

Reaction score
i just think if you're ordering the middle or upper base mini's it's kind of a waste if you're not going to be using the wireless or bluetooth that comes in them. The person who was mad bc it didn't come with a modem should probably not be buying the middle and upper mini's, they should stick to the base one that COMES with a modem.

I haven't used dial up in over 4 years. I think it is a waste of money for the consumer to have to pay to throw in the 56k modem that i will never use. I would rather have it as an option for those select few that would actually use them. But it's the same thing as that guy was saying about the floppy drives being phased out, that is simply what is happening with dial up. It's 2005 almost 2006 most areas and most people have either dsl or cable, h*ll dsl in dallas is only like $20 a month, not much more than dial up is. I think it's an extremely good move on apples part, not wasting resources like the modem when maybe 20% of the market will only use them. If you need a modem that badly, ORDER it.

All i've been using is wireless since it came out, it's like me complaining when the mini didn't come with wireless saying apple should have that as standard, WHICH they do now bc that's what everyone is using, dial up= the 90's. I didn't complain when that wasn't included, if you need it order it.

and I don't think Macmall or Fry's should be responsible for the consumer NOT reading what options come on the machine, it's the consumer's fault.
you should read every single option and read it over again to make sure that is everything you need. U can't ever assume it has an option in a computer, bc everything changes way too often.

OP
B

bhanson

Oh come on, do you really expect Apple or ANY company to advertise that as much as they would a new feature? No, you wouldn't, that's almost ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with taking away the modem as it's obsolete for most users, a couple of hundred users don't matter, they should have made sure they got a computer that would work for what they need it for. Guess what's getting eliminated next from main stream computers (as a whole), PS2 ports! Then guess. That's right, VGA monitor ports. Then probably analog audio. It's all part of the game of computers.

As far as Apple goes, they LEFT it in the entry level Mac, so the users would have it by stock, that's the model the people who didn't know any better would get (cheapest). Besides, look at what the next $100 gets you, Bluetooth, APX, 40GB of HDD space and a faster CPU. Well worth the take away of the (in most cases) obsolete modem.

Just think of watching Ads on TV:

"Now with only one calorie, and 3% more Sodium!!"

"We added five new revolutionary channels to the new cable service, but we took away the exotic home decoration channel."

"Our new line of cars performed worse than the last set! ... but we added a whole bunch of new features!"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very true and that 1.42 Mini is an even better deal now with 512Megs RAM, Wireless and Bluetooth included at the same price as before. Very good deal. If someone needs a modem, order it as an option. Easy to do.

I can't wait for the legacy ports to all disapear. Some systems still even have paralell and serial ports. Away with them! AGP now that PCI Express is starting to take off, will die eventually but it should last a while still. PS2 ports days are almost over.

Here in Calif by the way, for new DSL users with SBC/Yahoo you can get DSL for $14.95 a month with a one year contract. That is cheeper than even the lowest GOOD dialup ISP if you can call any Dialup good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.