Mighty Mouse Question -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
All of a sudden my mouse "behavior" has changed. I just read through "Mac OS X Leopard The Missing Manual" but can't find the solution. The situation - MacBookPro, Mac OS X, Version 10.6.6, with software updates run today.
I have a wireless mighty mouse (Apple mouse) and I could use the one button on top of the mouse to scroll up or down in a document or window. Now I have to use the slider on the right side of the screen to move up or down as the button i used to use to scroll up and/or down will now only scroll up in any given situation. Anyone know what's going on here?
If it makes a difference: I am only using 1/3 of my hard drive capacity (200GB) and all programs can be closed except the one I am trying to use the scroll button in.)
Thanks for your help.
Bill

Reaction score
All of a sudden my mouse "behavior" has changed. I just read through "Mac OS X Leopard The Missing Manual" but can't find the solution. The situation - MacBookPro, Mac OS X, Version 10.6.6, with software updates run today.
I have a wireless mighty mouse (Apple mouse) and I could use the one button on top of the mouse to scroll up or down in a document or window. Now I have to use the slider on the right side of the screen to move up or down as the button i used to use to scroll up and/or down will now only scroll up in any given situation. Anyone know what's going on here?
If it makes a difference: I am only using 1/3 of my hard drive capacity (200GB) and all programs can be closed except the one I am trying to use the scroll button in.)
Thanks for your help.
Bill

I just had a similar situation, a little different then yours but this might help.

My Magic Mouse stopped working horizontally on my mouse pad. I could get it to work on my desks hardwood surface but not on the pad.

Looking at it underneath I saw a whole bunch of debris on the guide bars. I tried to remove it just using my fingers and that did remove some of it. But I still had the issue.

So I decided to use some high percentage rubbing alcohol just a very small amount, on a cotton wash cloth. I then cleaned both the bars and the infer red "eye" on the bottom.

Took it back, put it on the mouse pad, works great now.

So maybe just some cleaning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get some paper on your desktop, turn the mouse over and run it up and down the paper for a few minutes to clean the ball. Then try hookbill's option but do not try to take it apart.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Still No Solution!

Thanks for the suggestions but still no solution to my lack of ability to be able to scroll vertically both up and down using my Apple wireless mouse. The battery level for the mouse shows a 95% charge. For example: when I open this site, "MacForums", and it fills the screen on my MacBookPro, on the right side edge of the screen is a blue vertical "slider" that I can put the mouse pointer on, click & drag it to move the screen up or down. If I use that slider to move the screen down I can then use the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll up but no matter what I do my scroll wheel will not scroll down. Sometimes the little things on computers are what drive me crazy. Maybe the mouse has "gone bad"!
Thanks for the replies!
Bill

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.