Mac Pro Suggestion Required

Reaction score
Hi there,
Need some direction:)

Would a Two 3.2 Quad Core Intel Xeon with 8 gig ram with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

be faster or same or slower than

8-Core - Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors with 8 gig of ram with ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

I do Hi Def editing and will be getting into graphic animation as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Would a Two 3.2 Quad Core Intel Xeon with 8 gig ram with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

be faster or same or slower than

8-Core - Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors with 8 gig of ram with ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5

Didn't you just post that 3.2 (8 core) setup for sale? Didn't realize you were thinking of upgrading to another Mac Pro.

In any case...check out these benchmarks:

Mac Benchmarks

...if I've identified your current computer correctly (2008 Mac Pro 2 x 3.2ghz, 8 cores)...it gets a benchmark score of 9979...and the newer 2010 Mac Pro with (2 x 2.4ghz, 8 cores)...it gets a benchmark score of 12525.

It's usually tough to find benchmarks that also include the video card performance...since many times there are a number of different choices. But based on the processor info (which of course is very important)...yes the newer Mac Pro is faster.

I guess it would all come down to is the performance increase & the financial numbers make sense to do the upgrade (how much you can sell the old computer for, and how much $$$ do you need to add to purchase the newer computer).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yup that's all I needed to know.

I am debating on selling my old depending on the price I get for it since I upgraded it

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.