Hard drive issues?

Reaction score
I have an iMac 17" 5.1 with newly upgraded OX 10.6.5 which shows the spinning beach ball more than it should in my opinion. I once had a similar situation with an older Mac which turned out to be a bad hard disk. Once replaced it ran fine. How can I tell if my hard drive in my iMac is faulty? I have 4 gigs of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Firstly try updating to 10.6.6 and see if the problem persists

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
When I try to download the update to 10.6.6, I am told that the server wouldn't connect and to make sure I am connected to the internet. I've tried this tree times with the same response each time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To test your hard drive:

Boot the iMac with your Snow Leopard disk and run Disk Utility from the top menu: Utilities, Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive on the left (top entry) and then select the First Aid tab on the right. Run a Verify and Repair. If you wish, you can also do a repair permissions which will take awhile to complete.

If the hard drive checks out OK, download and run the free OnyX maintenance utility. Be sure to read directions first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.