• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Download the ten billionth app and you could win a US $10,000 iTunes Gift Card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The App Store is about to hit ten billion downloads.
Download the ten billionth app and you could win a US $10,000 iTunes Gift Card.
Apple - iTunes - 10 Billion App Countdown

Ten billion. That's 10,000,000,000.
That's an insane number of downloads.

And how you win is:
The Promotion shall begin on January 6, 2011 and ends with the downloading of the 10 billionth app (“Promotion Period”). For purposes of the Promotion, the downloading of the 10 billionth app is considered to be either the downloading of the 10 billionth app from the App Store or the receipt of the non-purchase entry after the download of the 9,999,999,999th app, whichever comes first. Only entries submitted in this time period will be accepted. Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this promotion.
Or in other words. Either the ten billionth app download or the the first non download entry after the 999,999,999th app is downloaded will win, which ever is first. And at the speed the download counter is going there is about .001 of a second between each app download. So unless you can submit a non download form in .001 of a second you have a better chance just randomly purchasing apps roughly at the right time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If I won it I think I would sell it for $9,000 and buy myself a shiny new mac :D

- Simon

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To put this number into context. Ten Billion is (on average) 1 and one-third apps downloaded by every person on the entire Earth. Assuming a world population of 7.5 billion.

And if I won it, I would take the $10k myself. And give the entire 10K worth as music or videos or apps shared to people who want them. Paid for by me out of the 10K. So in essence nothing for me. But that's ok. To me the real pleasure is in the giving and not the getting and most certainly not in personal greed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you guys read the rules? It's like Apple is paying you $10K to use you.
The winner agrees to allow Sponsor to use his or her name, photograph, likeness, voice, prize information, and biographical information for publicity and promotional purposes without further compensation where permitted by law.

I think it would be pretty dumb to use TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on just iTunes alone. I would sell it, and get actual cash...bring home a new Mac along with a bunch of the best apps!

If the last iTunes download counter wasn't real, I don't think this one is real either. Also, you have 25 chances per day to get the ten's billion download. You don't have to download $ apps, free one's count also. Have fun! It's worth a try!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I think if I wasn't living so much on the breadline I would do something similar. But for now my plan is new mac (sell my old one too), pay off my debts and see whats left lol

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you guys read the rules? It's like Apple is paying you $10K to use you.

I think it would be pretty dumb to use TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on just iTunes alone. I would sell it, and get actual cash...bring home a new Mac along with a bunch of the best apps!

Can't see them wanting to use me, i'm hardly photographic :D

- Simon

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The card could be linked to your itunes account so it can only be used with your account. And can't be sold. But I'm sure if it can be sold it will be. probably on ebay to some insane Apple collector who just wants the card (and not the itunes content) and will pay more then 10K for it.

The only constant in life apart from birth, deaths and taxes is the fact there will always be human greed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that even if you used all the money on the card, someone would still pay an excessive amont on ebay for an itunes gift card that has $10,000 printed on it.

- Simon

Reaction score
Don't forget to pay the taxes on that 10 grand say about $3,500 or so for fed, state, city. Ouch! especially if you cant sell the Itunes card for some cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
NO taxes up here in Canada on winnings :) Sucks for everyone in places like the USA where you get taxed on winnings :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No taxes here in UK either

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Don't forget to pay the taxes on that 10 grand say about $3,500 or so for fed, state, city. Ouch! especially if you cant sell the Itunes card for some cash.

You're not taxed for receiving that "giftcard," you get taxed when you use it. Otherwise, they would be double dipping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
According to my calculations, if that clock was to be right in it's counting, they will get 10 billion downloads in about 64 hours, 12 minutes, and 31 seconds(+/- 1 hour). Assuming the clock is right, which is probably not real, just like last time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, I was trying to figure that out, but got strangely distracted because my mental arithmetic is horrendous... is there an actual real-time clock around anywhere? I know it's probably improbably but be worth an interesting look.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
lol, I was trying to figure that out, but got strangely distracted because my mental arithmetic is horrendous... is there an actual real-time clock around anywhere? I know it's probably improbably but be worth an interesting look.

- Simon

I've been trying to find one, but can't. There actually isn't anything out yet to suggest if the clock on apple's site is real or not, just the fact that the last itunes count-up was not a real clock. I'm sure Apple did their calculations to get the average downloads per hour so that they could at least set it right so that it will end at about the right time, without anyone noticing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
For it to be a realtime download clock there would have to be a constant activity to apples servers, right now it doesn't seem like it is doing that since I see no activity in LittleSnitch.
Looking at the javascript code though, it does seem like the countdown script has a refresh rate of 50 something, but can't be seconds as I have watched it for 2 minutes already with no activity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For it to be a realtime download clock there would have to be a constant activity to apples servers, right now it doesn't seem like it is doing that since I see no activity in LittleSnitch.
Looking at the javascript code though, it does seem like the countdown script has a refresh rate of 50 something, but can't be seconds as I have watched it for 2 minutes already with no activity.

That's some in-depth investigation... I admire that :D

- Simon

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did your internet die for 2 mins or something? Cause for me everytime I look at the counter it's always moving. To me the 50 could be 50 milliseconds. That sounds about right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The counter does always move (Count Up). I was curious if it is a realtime download number, but it appears not since I can turn off my internet and the counter still keeps counting up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Part of my winnings will be gong towards the "Queensland Flood Disaster" I cant be there so this is the next best thing ... :)

Will schedule my dl for 64 hrs time then take them all off pause and see if it comes up. Great promotion for  as there will be a lot of people dl at that time and something they would probably never get just to shorten the odds . . .

Just like im going to do lol
Got to be in it to win it ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.