MySQL setup (hair pulling) problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a Mac user for a number of years now. I have just treated myself to the new iMac i5. I have been using a Mac Pro for the past few years and was running mySQL 5.1.45 without any problems.

I started by downloading the latest release of the my SQL server for my new iMac and soon ran in to problems. After some digging around on the internet I found other people having the same issue as me. I then downloaded the older 5.1.45 version but went for the 64bit variety.

Via the MYSQL Workbench GUI I was able to see that the server was running and could also verify this using terminal.

I then downloaded the trusted phpMyAdmin and hit a stumbling block that I have not been able to over come.

Although the SQL server seems to be working I can't access it from either phpMyAdmin or my Dreamweaver DNS server files.

I have confirmed that the root password is correct and have got identical settings to my last Mac but still no joy.

Has anyone here been able to install mySQL server and over come these access issues?

My Tech Spec:
iMac i5 2.8G - OS X 10.6.6
Tried mySQL 5.5.8 (64 bit)
Tried mySQL 5.1.45 (64 & 32 bit)
Using DW CS5
Using phpMyAdmin 3.3.8.1​

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Look into Mampp, someone has taken the time to make sure you can run Apache, MySql server and php on a Mac. Works flawlessly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.