Macbook Pro Thoughts

Reaction score
I am looking for thoughts and insight to purchase options for a MBP. I have an earlier model of the black MacBook which I love. It is time to upgrade and pass this MB along to one of the younger ones in the house.

I am looking at the 15" MBP and reading about Intel's i5 and i7. I am trying to decide which avenue to go down - 2.4, 2.53, or 2.66 AND 4 or 8GB of RAM and are these options worth the money. Here is what I am doing on my current MB:

E-mail and internet
MobileMe
Online database research
Some photo editing (Adobe Photoshop)
Very little video editing
Presentations (PPT and / or Keynote)
Numbers & Excel
Document formatting (Word & Adobe Pro)
Parrallels (Windows XP home) for 2 specific software apps not made for Macs :(
IBM notes email client for work e-mail
Cisco VPN to access school servers

Any thoughts?
Thanks
S

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your current black MacBook can do everything you listed...so a new MacBook Pro will do it even better.:)

As far as the cpu speeds...any of them will be fine (they're all actually very close). Get 4 gig of ram now...and upgrade the ram later as needed.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I got a 13in MPB and I do almost all those things on a daily basis (except parallel) so I think you will be fine with just the 13in.

Reaction score
Generally speaking extra RAM and HD are way more expensive when ordered with the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.