Using time machine as shared hard drive via ethernet

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a time machine that is working as a regular drive shared for three mac computers. The problem is that we can only connect to the time machine via wifi, and it is extremely slow. We would like to connect out three computers directly to the TM using the Ethernet connection, but when I plug any computer to the LAN port at the back of the TM, my Mac cannot see it (not as hard drive, or anything). It is only visible through the wireless network. (If i turn off the airport, the time machine disappears from my computer).

Any guess??
Thank you very much in advance.

Victor.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have to confess this is one I don't have an answer for, but I will add some clarification to avoid possible confusion. What you are using is a Time Capsule (combination wireless router and hard drive--I have one also). Time Machine is the software program used for back up on the Time Capsule (or virtually any other drive you select).

Are you using the Time Capsule as your router and not just as a shared hard drive? (Though I don't know what difference that would make). Plugging an ethernet connected Mac or PC into your router shouldn't disconnect the other wireless clients unless there is some obscure setting I am not aware of (or possibly not so obscure--I am definetly not an expert in this area).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Time Capsule may or may not allow you to connect to it via Ethernet. I used it that way for several months until recently. Launch Airport Utility and look carefully at the wireless connection settings. If I remember correctly you cannot connect to the TC via ethernet if it is also set to extend an existing wireless network. I had the TC connected to my main router via wire so it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.