Loosing internet connection

Reaction score
I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a MacBook I bought in 2007-ish. In my apartment, I have cable TV and cable internet through a modem. I connect my laptop to a hard line, and I don't use the wireless. Most nights I have no problem with connectivity to the internet, but there are nights where I just lose connection. If I am trying to stream video or play online game, my computer will just lose connection. The only way I know how to fix it is to reboot the Mac. Upon rebooting, I have an internet connection, and I didn't touch the modem or any cords. Sometime later that night (times vary), after watching more streaming video or playing online games more, I lose connection again. So, I reboot again. To see if it is not my connection, I use airport with a random wireless source from somewhere in the apartment complex, but I still cannot connect to the internet until I reboot. I do this for a while before I just give up for the night.

The next day I have an internet connection and everything is fine, and I can stream movies and play games with no problem. This whole time I have not touched the modem. This makes me think that it is not the internet connection, but something on my Mac is screwy.

On the other hand, I take my laptop to school where I have not had this problem, though I don't play online games or stream movies at school.

So, has anybody else had such a problem? Are there any possible solutions (save buying a new computer, which I cannot afford right now)? I have checked for updates, but the only thing that is not up to date is Safari, which I never use anyway, I use Firefox and sometimes Opera.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" Macbook Pro
Mine does this sometimes but over wifi and with 10.6.6 . I haven't been able to figure it out either. I know it's something with the computer because all my other computers on the network work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.