Stumped on Connecting Windows PC to Mac Shared Folder

Reaction score
I'm stumped on this - 2 computers, 1 running Win XP Home, Windows Firewall turned off during this testing, AVG Antivirus (so no Norton getting in the way) and an iMac desktop running OS X 10.5.8. Basic home network, machines on 192.168.1.x addresses. Windows machine is in workgroup MSHOME.

In Mac System Preferences --> Sharing, File Sharing is turned on, I have added the desired folder to the list of shared folders. The only Mac user account on the system is allowed Read and Write Access, and under Options, SMB Sharing is turned on. Also, in System Preferences --> Network --> Advanced Settings --> WINS, the Workgroup is set to MSHOME, and it is the NetBIOS name that I am using to connect - set to ALLISONIMAC.

On the Windows machine, I try to go to \\ALLISONIMAC, but after ~30 seconds, I get an error that \\ALLISONIMAC could not be found.

When going into My Network Places and "View Workgroup Computers" the Mac shows up as ALLISONIMAC, but double clicking on it results in the same message that \\ALLISONIMAC could not be found.

From the Windows machine, I can ping the Mac's IP address (192.168.1.103) and get a response, and I can also ping ALLISONIMAC and the responses come back from 192.168.1.103. However, trying to go to \\ALLISONIMAC or even \\192.168.1.103 still hangs and won't let me connect. I've tried restarting both machines but still to no avail.

I've tried researching everything I can up to this point, but I'm stuck. Has anyone come across anything that I might be overlooking? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.