All audio through wireless speakers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2009 MacBook Pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 memory, 160 GB SATA hard dive
Hello! I own a 13" MacBook Pro and Airport Express into which I've connected a JBL Creature speaker system. iTunes plays just fine but I'd like to use the speakers for more. Does anyone out there know if it's possible to play ALL computer sounds through the speakers connected to my Airport Express?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not sure, but try this: System Preferences>Sound>Output and see if your wireless speakers show up as an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The only way I know of is to use a program called Airfoil. It has a trial so you can try it out.
Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil | Select Your Operating System
I bought a family pack so that all my computers (Windows and Macs) will be able to play any sound to any speaker in my house.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Ivan

Looks like a bargain for $25. How well does it work and what's its range?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should also mention I had to call for a special order family pack - so that I could get both Windows and Mac at a discounted rate. I ended getting 5 each for the price of 5 total (so basically half off) - I do have a lot more computers than the average person though. It works quite well actually. They even have a program to watch video - so that it sets up the proper lag in the video so the audio lines up. That also works quite well. The trial fully works for 10 minutes - After the 10 minutes they add audio noise. Either way the trial does a very good job of figuring out if it works with the setup you have.

Airfoil gives you choices on whether to send system audio, or a certain program's audio to a remote speaker. The other nice options is Airfoil Speakers - which runs on a computer (Mac or Windows) - so it can act as a remote speaker for Airfoil. This is nice if you have a media pc or a mac mini setup as a media center - you can just send audio to that. Airfoil Speakers is a free piece of software. There is also Airfoil speakers for iPod/iPad - so you can send audio to your mobile device. The piece missing is an Airplay type plugin for going the other way. It would also be nice if you could see Airfoil Speaker computers on Airplay as that is also missing.

I have been very pleased with Airfoil and recommend it as a remote sound solution - if you don't already have something - or if you've invested in Airport Expresses and want to do more audio than just iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The only way I know of is to use a program called Airfoil.

+1 for this. Great App and well worth the outlay. There support is great as well. Email a bug and within 4 hrs i had a fix.....

Reaction score
Audio delay with Airfoil

Airfoil is a nice idea, nice interface and everything, but there's a 2 second delay with all my audio. Not a problem if I just want to listen to music, but for system audio and editing audio or video it doesn't cut it. Their knowledgebase says the delay is inherent in Apple's protocol which buffers 2 seconds worth of audio. Didn't work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't use it for editing - but as I mentioned they have a video player that will line up audio and video. If you are trying to do editing you are better off buying a set of dedicated speakers - remote audio just won't cut it in my experience when you are editing video clips.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am going to have to give this a try. I've known about the program for a while but you guts have come up with a few uses I had not thought of.

I have used Audio Hijack Pro for some time and also have Wire Tap Studio installed. I used to have their Line In app installed (free program switches audio inputs without a trip to System Prefs) until I discovered I could do this within OS X. I just downloaded their free SoundSource program since it seems a bit more versatile than what is built into OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.