Bootcamp white screen but not locked

Reaction score
Ok, i'm trying to install Windows XP on my intel iMac 24. I've used boot camp to create a partition. I'm now to the part where it asks if I want to begin with the windows install. I've got the Wndows install disk in and click continue. A few seconds later, the computer restarts and a white screen is shown. This screen well stay up for maybe 5-7 minutes at which time the computer will again restart and the white screen returns. This process will continue over and over again every 5-7 minutes or so.

At this point, all I have figured out is to turn it off and hold option while turning it back on. This will present me with the option of choosing Macintosh HD to boot from. That is the only option. The computer boots fine once I click that option.

I've tried loading windows from two different XP SP2 disks and one XP SP3 disk. All give me the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Looks like you have the White Screen of Death. Try resetting the PRAM:
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

And if that doesn't work you will have to re-install the OS. If you were running Snow Leopard you might get your files back if you didn't back up.

Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, the computer works. It'll just get stuck when I try and install windows. Leopard works great. It's only when I run the boot camp install process.

In other words, it stick a during the install but once I restart it, it's fine. Just no windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've tried loading windows from two different XP SP2 disks and one XP SP3 disk. All give me the same result.

What kind of disks? OEM disks or branded disks will not work, nor will an upgrade version nor a recovery disk. XP must be at least a SP2 (or SP3) full install version, either an OEM system builders, or a MS boxed copy of the same.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've reset the PRAM. It still sticks on install.

Two disks are branded recovery disks (both are SP2). The other is a full install version (SP3).

Also, one other think to note? My internal DVD drive is not working in the Mac. I'm doing the install through and external DVD drive. No clue if that matters or not. The drive functions fine for all other operations. The "windows_SP3" disk is currently on my OSX desktop.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok. So apparently the external dvd IS the problem. Windows XP apparently won't boot from an external drive.

So, any other options or just wait for my new internal DVD drive to be delivered? It's not possible to copy the install CD to the "bootcamp" partition and install it from there, is it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.