Restore iPhone, but lost 9 months worth of contacts

Reaction score
Hi, I have a MacBook Pro, iTunes, and an iPhone with iOS 4.2.

I just restored my iPhone from a backup. And contacts HAVE been restored, going back to April 2010! I have lost 9 months worth of contacts.
But I have backed up my iPhone at LEAST once per month.
I checked Mac Address Book, and it has the exact set of contacts I had 9 months ago.

Is there a way I can get to the IPHONE backup, to restore all of my contacts?
Thanks much... this is very important!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Are you sure you selected the most recent backup?

Are you saying that the contacts stored in Address Book on your MBP (not your iPhone) have now been altered the reflect its contents 9 months ago?

Do you use Time Machine to backup your MBP?

OP
J
Reaction score
Am I sure about the most recent backup? Yes I used Saturday Jan 9th 2011.
Has MBP's address book been overwritten? No, apparently it has never been updated since April 2010.
Also I am not using Time Machine. My hard disk is small (250GB) and I'm running a lot of here.

C

chas_m

Chances are you restored from an old backup. It's a pity you're not a MobileMe member, but oh well.

It's an ENORMOUS pity you're not running Time Machine. That would have fixed that problem almost instantly.

All I can suggest is that you look in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and find the backup that was made a month ago. Resist the temptation to use a backup more recent than a month ago (if there's one in there), as that may well perpetuate the problem you're having!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Chances are you restored from an old backup. It's a pity you're not a MobileMe member, but oh well.

THAT!

Seriously. Over the Air syncing and so on is where it's at. When I set up my iPhone 4 it took all of 30 seconds for my whole contacts list to transfer from the MM server to my Phone. No loss at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.