Mac Mail won't SEND email from Mac Mail...

Reaction score
Help! I have had paid for Yahoo Plus for years and have always had it running with MS Entourage on my 2008 MacBook Pro. I just put a new hard drive in and did a fresh install of everything, choosing to leave MS Office and stick with iWork and Mac Mail. I receive email for my yahoo account just fine, but it won't "send" email from the Mac Mail program. I went in and adjusted the settings as to what it appears Yahoo says to, but I still can't send... pretty annoying. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
[I've checked a much older version of Mail for this info.]

Do you get a notification that 'Mail was unable to send .........', or does just nothing happen?

What server port is smtp using? The standard one is 25. Check too that authentication for outgoing mail hasn't somehow been activated - although you'd normally get a warning dialogue.

What outgoing address is being used? Eg. for years it was smtp.provider.com (or similar), but for quite some time now most providers use just mail.provider.com (or similar).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.