Need To Know How To Have A Video Chat With Msn Messenger

B

bunter001

I've just switched to an AppleMac. I've bought an Imac G5 which is totally wicked. I've bought an ISight webcam which is f@%king swish, totally wicked. But all my gimp pc user friends use MSN Messenger not AOL Messenger so i can't use IChat to video chat with them.

Does anyone know how i can have a video chat with MSN users using my Mac. Please help i've got a brand new £100 webcam sat on my desk and i can't use the **** thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Microsoft has not updated the version of MSN Messenger for Mac, thus is not fully compatible with the PC version. As far as i know they won't update it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Any specific reason you have to use MSN Messenger? You can use iChat to chat with AIM users via video and you can use Yahoo! Mac for video only chat with windows Yahoo! users.

But Windows Messenger for Mac (as it's not called as of version 5.0) does not support video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
I favour Mercury personally, it's pretty sweet and does everything you could ask of it...

Reaction score
I use Mercury Messenger as well for web chat. However, to get my cam to work, I had to download MacCam before my iMac would recognise it. it is a cheap USB cam I've had for about five or six years.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

schweb said:
Any specific reason you have to use MSN Messenger? You can use iChat to chat with AIM users via video and you can use Yahoo! Mac for video only chat with windows Yahoo! users.

Because he said in his original post that all his friends use MSN and not AOL :p

I started using iChat myself yesterday because I have a fellow iBook user who wants to do some voice chatting and she uses iChat too. So far, I'm impressed and wished my friends could have AOL accounts too, lol. It's such an excellent application.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new with this stuff...
I got my ichat working with an AIM account, on the other end i have a windows machine with AIM as well. The issue is that i cant wet to work the audio nor video chats between them.... in ichat i have both buttons disabled and in the win AIM I dont even see the option for audio / video chat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
in the UK no one uses AIM its all MSN which is a shame as its aweful really

Reaction score
But really, these are the kinds of things that have kept me from buying a Mac. I don't know anyone that has one. Little things like this are kinda crazy? Why is MSN incompatible with a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
msn

hey

msn is not incompatible with the mac. download msn for mac and try it - if you dont like it try adium which uses the same password and stuff as msn

regards :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ripfrankwhite said:
Why is M(icro)S(oft)N incompatible with a (Apple)Mac?

....Well....I do have some theories....:):black:

Reaction score
mercury messenger

Hurray at long last!!::Shouting:
I downloaded mercury messenger and hey presto it works fine with my apple mac.
I managed to have a video chat with mates on msn with no problem.
I no longer miss msn :Angry-Tongue: LOL

Give it a try and good luck;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
Hurray at long last!!::Shouting:
I downloaded mercury messenger and hey presto it works fine with my apple mac.
I managed to have a video chat with mates on msn with no problem.
I no longer miss msn :Angry-Tongue: LOL

Give it a try and good luck;D

that's awesome I might try this mercury messenger thing
I've heard awesome things about adium too
I don't understand ichat at all though
i dont use aim but ichat just automatically used my gmail account....??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB DDR3 RAM
Okay, so not many people know about this program, but you should definitely check out aMSN. It is an awesome version of messenger that has all the capabilities of regular PC messenger (i.e. Video Chat, better looking format, etc.). Also, you can download and change the skins on it too. It is the best form of msn messenger and I absolutely love it. Click here to go to the download site and see for yourself.

Reaction score
Is mercury as ugly as it used to be?

And Adium still doesnt support for video or audio chat. Its a pitty, otherwise it would be the best IM ever, lol.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is mercury as ugly as it used to be?

And Adium still doesnt support for video or audio chat. Its a pitty, otherwise it would be the best IM ever, lol.

Actually there are plugins that you can use to get video and audio. They just aren't that great. >_<"

Reaction score
so u cant use webcam, built in or additional, on macs for msn wat so eva!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.