Advantage of Jailbreaking?

Reaction score
i'm new to the forum - So a quick hello to all

I've purchased apple tv2g recently and loved it so - it was my favorite x-mas present to give -- and for what it provides I'm very happy with-
I've been seeing certain sites promoting the idea of jailbreaking my apple tv
2g, but i'm not sure what the advantages are --
Boxee (don't know what this program is really)
I don't have any videos that are in other formats so is jailbreaking for me? or should I be happier that ignorance is bliss?::)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Jailbreaking allows software modifications and installation of apps not approved by Apple. In the case of the iPhone, in certain situations, the advantages of jailbreaking are obvious. In the US for example, jailbreaking allows locked iPhones to be unlocked so they can be used with other carriers besides AT&T.

Honestly, at this point, jailbreaking the AppleTV isn't really that useful. It won't offer very many useful features to the average user, however, the ability to jailbreak it opens up the possibility for developers to create new apps and alter the existing software to give it new abilities. So a couple years from now, there may be dozens of new features and abilities available for jailbroken ATVs. No one really knows what innovations software devs and hackers may come up with in the coming months...

Reaction score
I've got the 160g ATV so there is an advantage with it. NitoTV allows me to stream from my external HD any format on there. The ATV2s don't appear to have all the bugs worked out just yet so I'm waiting on buying one until I feel they will work as well as my current set up. After the jailbreak that is...

Reaction score
ATV2 Jailbreak

Jailbreaking will allow you to use Plex Media server which is the best App I have. I can stream my movie collection, music and videos to my TV thru the free Plex server and wife and kids love it.

i'm new to the forum - So a quick hello to all

I've purchased apple tv2g recently and loved it so - it was my favorite x-mas present to give -- and for what it provides I'm very happy with-
I've been seeing certain sites promoting the idea of jailbreaking my apple tv
2g, but i'm not sure what the advantages are --
Boxee (don't know what this program is really)
I don't have any videos that are in other formats so is jailbreaking for me? or should I be happier that ignorance is bliss?::)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Jailbreaking will allow you to use Plex Media server which is the best App I have. I can stream my movie collection, music and videos to my TV thru the free Plex server and wife and kids love it.

I may be stating the obvious here, but the ATV 2 does all that out of the box. Now, all of my media is ATV compatible (I rip/convert my own) so I have no real issues but I guess it could be handy for some who have multiple formats. I assume you fall into that category?

Reaction score
I may be stating the obvious here, but the ATV 2 does all that out of the box. Now, all of my media is ATV compatible (I rip/convert my own) so I have no real issues but I guess it could be handy for some who have multiple formats. I assume you fall into that category?

Plex allows me to play my avi files w/o converting them and that makes plex worth it and jailbreaking of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Plex allows me to play my avi files w/o converting them and that makes plex worth it and jailbreaking of course.

So the answer is yes, you do fall into that category....

Reaction score
yes I do. It just seems alot easier to manage my media without having to convert anything. There are also additional plugins that you can access that unjailbroken APTV2 does not have.

Reaction score
My APV was jail-broken, but I have since restored it. What I did enjoy about the Jail-broken ATV and XBMC is I was apple to point my ATV at my network drive and stream my media without the use of a computer. I dislike having to have I tunes running, but in the end, the constant hassle of messing with it wasn't worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.