Need Help - Can't Start Up off HD, Disk or Safe Mode

Reaction score
I have a MacBook, Intel Dual Core, 2GHz, SMC 1.17f0 .

The System will not boot up from hard drive, goes threw the apple screen, gear turning then to a blank grey screen with cursor blinking in upper left corner. I Tried key stroke commands at start up, option-command-p-r, option, d, and command -V, nothing happens. Command-S gives me a cursor screen asking to stay in stay in single user mode, I can type in such things as /sbin/fsck -fy and others but do not get responses. Tried shift at start up but will never get to safe mode and gears never turn eventually attempting another restart.

I tried the Snow Leopard Install disk by pressing c at start up, it boots up the Mac OS X installer and I can use the utilities. Disk Verify and Repair indicates the hard drive "appears to be OK". It does not allow me to repair permissions. When going through the install screens and trying to install, it stops indicating "The Max OS X couldn't be completed" with 302 lines of localhost errors in the log. The the options are to restart or shut down.

I also took the battery out, unplugged and pressed power to discharge completely.

Additionally tried a "Restore Your System" from backup from a previous time state. No luck there as it never stop searching for a "Time Machine backups..."

Can anyone out there point me the right direction to fix this, things to try that I haven't or come to a conclusion that some hardware such as the hard drive isn't working.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Venice Beach Villas

This just in - I got restless with no replies. When trying to erase the hard drive for a clean install of Snow Leopard, the utility got about 1/2 way through and came back with "Volume erase failed" with error as "File system formatter failed"

Please, all you guru's, shed some light on this system.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.