Anti virus for mac?

Reaction score
Which anti virus is the better for macbook, iantivirus or sophos antivirus, both free edition? And, actually exist some virus for mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Most of us do not use one of those things on our Macs, so we wouldn't have any idea which one is better.

No, with a little common sense, there does not exist anything in the wild that can affect OS X at this time.

Have a read of the sticky - here.

Reaction score
When I switched I felt "naked" at first with no virus programs, defraggers, OS reinstalls, occasional registry fine tuning and so forth.

That was a year and a half ago and nothing bad has happened. Instead I just enjoy a fast, elegant computer on which I can do my work with few hassles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
To put it in simple layman's term...

The "viruses" out there are malicious Windows applications written to cause harm to computers running Windows software. If you are not running Windows on your Mac, you do not need protection from Windows viruses.

Antivirus software for Macs is basically a scam. What they don't clearly tell you is that the OS X antivirus software does not search for "Mac viruses". (That's because there aren't any.) The only thing it does is search for Windows viruses, which is funny because the OS X software on your Mac is 100% immune to the Windows viruses being searched for.

Worrying about getting a virus on your Mac, it like laying awake in bed at night and worrying about whether or not you might contract smallpox.

It is hypothetically possible that, at some point in the future, someone may develop a true "Mac virus". However, if/when that happens, without an update, your existing antivirus software out there isn't going to detect it anyway, because it's only programmed to look for all the known Windows viruses. If a true "Mac virus" is actually developed, it will be front page news on the CNN & MSNBC websites. Everyone will know about it, and a couple weeks AFTER it happens, you'll be able to install some antivirus software which actually contains an update that protects you from it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, sorry but I'm new in forum, very thank you people, I hope we can exchange kwnolege with all in the forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"; 2.93GHz; 4GB mem; 640GB HD; iPod Movie 5G; iPod Touch 4G 64gb
Microsoft owns the world computer market with their Windows OS, so why would a hacker worry about trying to hack into a very, very small percentage of computers when they can focus on 90%+/- of the market made up of Windows?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If it helps at all, let me say that when I converted to Macs, I installed VirusBarrier X5, then X6. This protection is, allegedly, designed for Macs and specific for them.

Okay. In 3.5 years on a total of 4 iMacs, the record shows not one single virus, Trojan, threat or intrusion has been detected on any of these computers.

In contrast, my Windows AntiVirus detected thousands of potential threats.

This seems to validate bobtomay's assertion that there is no discernible threat to Macs and my ignorant, or naive, approach was wrong.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This seems to validate bobtomay's assertion that there is no discernible threat to Macs and my ignorant, or naive, approach was wrong.

Ian

"Wrong" is strong language. Let's go with "unnecessary". ;)

Reaction score
If it helps at all, let me say that when I converted to Macs, I installed VirusBarrier X5, then X6. This protection is, allegedly, designed for Macs and specific for them.

Okay. In 3.5 years on a total of 4 iMacs, the record shows not one single virus, Trojan, threat or intrusion has been detected on any of these computers.

In contrast, my Windows AntiVirus detected thousands of potential threats.

Ian

I run Windows XP virtually for a datalogging program. If I surf from XP "unprotected", the virus and malware and trojan alerts go up faster than the National Debt. Back to Safari in OSX…and all is safe, quiet, and nonchalant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
I use Sophos Free ... it's very transparent and doesn't even make a difference :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I ran virus barrier x6 on my mac. Not using windows. What a waste of money at 70.00 per year. Live and learn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I use Sophos Free ... it's very transparent and doesn't even make a difference :D

Considering that it has nothing to do, it shouldn't make a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Consider this.

There are no Mac OS X viruses period. When you download antivirus definitions you are downloading definitions for Windows viruses only as AV manufacturers have absolutely no Mac definitions. Windows viruses cannot function in the Unix world.

Any wonder it does not work?

C

chas_m

Microsoft owns the world computer market with their Windows OS, so why would a hacker worry about trying to hack into a very, very small percentage of computers when they can focus on 90%+/- of the market made up of Windows?

First of all, "Windows" doesn't own 90+% of the market anymore and hasn't for a long time now.

Second, this has absolutely f-all NOTHING to do with how secure Macs are.

Third, Mac use has QUINTUPLED in the last five years -- still no viruses. Care to explain how your theory fits that fact?

Fourth, the myth of "security through obscurity" has been debunked more times than the "Iraq has WMD" line.

Fifth, "hackers" would love NOTHING BETTER than to be the first to write a genuine Mac virus. There is NO LACK of trying to do exactly that, trust me.

Sixth, can you even IMAGINE the spotlight Apple would (unfairly) get if even ONE genuine Mac virus were found to exist? The press and the PC fanboys would be all "there see you're JUST AS BAD" even though it would still be several hundred million to one. But more than TEN YEARS LATER still hasn't happened.

Seventh, furthermore it's not going to. Viruses as they are defined today are all but *impossible* on Macs, which is exactly WHY we haven't had any. Mac OS X is based on UNIX, which is itself very secure (since it was originally developed to be used for secure purposes). Windows is (still!) based on DOS, which wasn't.

No computer is 100% perfectly secure unless it's unplugged and off any sort of network, and Macs are not completely immune to "trickware" type malware -- BUT we're talking about a genuine VIRUS, not just "annoy-ware," and the chances of a Mac virus are so low that I'll *gladly* take any comers on a bet to that effect ... I love making easy money ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.