WARNING Notice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067, OSX 10.10.2 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS 8.1.4
I was on the internet just looking for sweater patterns, when all of a sudden a website came up and seemed to be scanning my computer. Then a small screen came up, I don't remember what it said, but I tried to think how to delete it, didn't seem to be a way, then I tried to shut down Safari, couldn't, then I tried to manually turn off the computer. As you may have figured out I WAS a PC owner & am still new to Apple/Mac. I finally figured out about Force Quit and did that. Then I did a Disk Utility, Repair Disk Permissions. It went through its work and the last message was this:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Then I went to History in Safari and found these locations:
My computer online scan

Expertaudiocenter.com/aioUmpLW/

What can I do to make sure my computer is safe?

I have been told that I do not need McAfee or Norton is this correct?

What can I do to make sure I can continue to enjoy surfing.

I LOVE MY MAC.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And those pop up windows that appear to be scanning your C: drive (which doesn't even exist in OS X) can be safely be ignored. They cannot install anything in OS X.

They can lock up the browser so you have to force quit it though because there is no way to close the stupid window.

Once you quit and reopen the browser, you can continue on your way without worry.

The only way you will never see one of those, is if you cease using the web.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB,1067, OSX 10.10.2 & iPad Mini 2 - 32 GB WiFi iOS 8.1.4
Thank you Simon~
Do I need to Protect my computer with a firewall? I don't understand the term "Incoming Connections". Could you explain..

Thanks for all your help.

Sweet Pea

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you MYmacROX, I have added some info for SweetPea.

Thank you bobtomay I agree about the SUPID window, thanks for the reassurance I have come from a life of PC and still can't believe how great Mac is... my last PC a laptop just "started acting really weird" at the age of 2 yrs. My husband bought me this "once in a lifetime Mac" and I am still learning all the great things about it.

If anyone has any other things that I should be doing to really enjoy this mac even more please send them my way.

Needless to say, my husband is envious of my Mac.

SweetPea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thank you Simon~
Do I need to Protect my computer with a firewall? I don't understand the term "Incoming Connections". Could you explain..

Thanks for all your help.

Sweet Pea

Your Mac has a built in firewall, you just need to turn it on. It's under the security Prefs pane.

Incoming connections are just that, any connection that is incoming to your computer for an App to use. They are usually required for the App to do it's job (like Safari) or for an app to get updates (like MS Word).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.