15" PRO Portability

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the AIR but the pro is so much more for your money. So I was looking at the 13" pro and loved it until a friend of mine got one and after seeing it in the house I think the screen is kinda small. I would be carrying this in my briefcase from the car into a house and back to the car. I don't work in the city and don't walk long distances carrying my briefcase either. My current laptop is 5.1lbs and am trying to convince myself into the 15" pro. Do you guys that have the 15's think it's a bit heavy to lug around?
Thanks...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I take mine back and forth to work daily. It's a good traveler. My only concern would be whether it fits in your briefcase. That might be kind of tight, especially if you carry a lot of other stuff in there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The 15" MacBook Pro is pretty much the "standard" size & weight of most laptop computers that have been out for years & years. There really should not be any "portability" issues.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with the replies you have already received but would like to add one more option to consider.

A 13" notebook is certainly going to be lighter to carry around and probably would fit better in a briefcase or small carry bag. The disadvantage of course is the smaller screen. If you can afford it, keep an external monitor at your work location that you can attach to while at work. I know quite a few folks who do this. Some of them lucky enough to have an employer who supplied the external monitor.

Just a thought for you to ponder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I agree with chscag... my current system is a 13" MBA, and I'm pretty sure the laptop bag I use is heavier than the computer. I use a 23" LCD at work, and the display is gorgeous. I get the best of portability and performance (the 13" air is as fast or faster than my 13" MBP was) and a large display at the office. Add to that a wireless keyboard and magic trackpad, and it makes for a nice workspace. BTW, the display is an Acer, and was about $130 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
I had a similar concern before upgrading from my 13" Alum. Macbook to my current 15" MBP. After about three months of carrying around the 15" I find portability not to be a big issue on the 15". I do, however, REALLY enjoy the 15" high-def matte screen. That alone makes it very much worth the slight size and weight increase. Regardless the MBP blows away any other 15" laptop in terms of portability.

Reaction score
I have done a lot of travel with the 15 inch and it travels better then the stinkpad I had before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I agree with everything here too. I've been on the 15 inch for the last year and half and fly with it. I have yet to run into any portability issues. Sure a smaller laptop would be nice and every now and then, but really it's never been an actual problem for me, and I'll be dammed if I'm staring at a 13 inch screen constantly ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
My current laptop is 5.1lbs and am trying to convince myself into the 15" pro.
The 15" MBP is 5.6 lbs so it's not much different from your current laptop. If you can live with your current laptop then I don't think you will notice the weight difference especially since you are not walking far with it. I don't have a problem carrying my 15" but like you I also don't have to walk far.

What others have said about having an external monitor at your work is another option but if you are like me and go to different locations for work then that's not an option. I also thought the 13" screen was too small and would not have been happy with it either but other people don't really care so it's comes down to what your preference is. In other words what is your priority screen size or light weight?

If you don't care about screen size and the other features that comes with a 15" then you will be paying more for things you don't need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.