Airport/Router Problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I'm having problems with my Intel Mini and my home network/internet connection. I've got iStumbler and KisMac. iStumbler shows a signal strength of between 15 and 25% with the Mini in the lounge: two stud walls and about 20 feet from the router. It doesn't show any of my neighbours routers. KisMac shows all the local routers and the signal strength for mine keeps flicking between 0 and 15% in the ratio of about 10 seconds at 0, and 1 second at 15%.

If I move the Mini to within 3 feet of the router, the signal strength goes to 50%, but KisMac still shows it flicking on and off. Isn't a 50% signal strength a bit low that close to the router?

If it is, that would indicate to me, along with the flicking signal, and the almost lack of ability for the Mini to get an internet connection, that I have a problem with the router.

However, my other Mini, MacBook and iPhone connect without any problems, which would seem to show an Airport problem with the Mini.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What router are you using? Also are you using the 5Ghz band? Sitting that close I would expect it to be higher. Just a few feet away for me and the 5GHz band drops off quickly. If I put my MBP right next to my router it is about 70% for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Anyway - if it is only the mini that has trouble - it points to the Airport in the Mini - especially with the low numbers for signal you are seeing.

OP
MightyGem
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Thanks, it's a Netgear DG834G, which is 2.4GHz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.