Power Mac G5 Wireless Problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbbok Pro (unibody) 2.4GHz 4GB ram
First of all - New member so I'm sorry if there is a post similar to this. But I have not come across such a thread! Here's the deal. . .

OK. So I have an old Power Mac G5 that I have second hand, handed down to me. Now I have a brand new MacBook pro and the wireless works PERFECT for me. So I know 100% my wireless is fine. Here's the deal, anyone familiar with a power mac or mac pro knows about the latch on the back you use to open and shut the tower to get to the internals of the computer. When said side of the computer is open, exposing the internals of the computer, the wireless is GREAT works with no problems. But as soon as I place the aluminum plate back on sealing the computer up (like it's suppose to be) the signal strength drops to like 3%. It's almost as if the cover of the box is blocking the wireless signal. Has anyone had this problem? Is the airport card going bad? How can I fix this..? And ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Possibly an easy answer. The Powermac G5's did have a problem with WiFi reception...that's why many Powermac G5 models had an Apple designed & supplied WiFi antenna which looks like this:

media.nl

You can buy them here (other places as well) if you don't have one:

Airport Extreme Antenna for G5 Tower $28.77

I'm guessing that when you got this computer the antenna wasn't included...so I highly recommend getting one...since the WiFi on my Powermac G5 works great (I have one of these antennas).:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbbok Pro (unibody) 2.4GHz 4GB ram
Wonderful! OK great thanks. Yeah all my time with Apple has been spent on the MacBook side of things, so I am clueless when it comes to the desktops. I'll look into this. Can you buy from the apple store? Or is it online only?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wonderful! OK great thanks. Yeah all my time with Apple has been spent on the MacBook side of things, so I am clueless when it comes to the desktops. I'll look into this. Can you buy from the apple store? Or is it online only?

The Powermac G5 line of computers were sold "new" between 2003-2006...so they are now 4-7 years old. I don't want to say 100%...but I'm 99% sure that you cannot buy these G5 antenna's from an Apple Store anymore. They pretty much cost around $25-$30 dollars at most internet stores...so pick the store you're most comfortable with. Or you could try e-Bay...you may be able find them less expensive there.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.