Mac Noob Help

Reaction score
OK, I am getting a laptop for College, I am going for a Computer Engineering degree, but still in junior college 1st year.
I am going to have around maybe 1000-1100ish to spend but will have extra, and I will get student discount on the Macbook Pro=100$ and Macbook=50$ discount.

I passed on the iMac to build my own PC which was 3 months ago. It is a powerhouse at least until I get the upcoming AMD fusion line. So I don't think I really need a super powerhouse laptop to play games at school. But something ultra portable and realiable, but mainly futureproof because I won't be able to upgrade the cpu and gpu like on a Desktop.

I had my eye on the DV7tQE w/sandy bridge cpu but when I went to try it at best buy I thought it was nothing compared to the Mac Book Pro, besides for the DV7 being a powerhouse with the newest tech it really didn't feel as good when using it.

So is the Mac Book Pro the best college laptop and would it be considered future-proof if I buy it in the next week?
Like is there an upcoming release of them with upgrades? Even Rumors?

I just don't know Mac timelines, so I don't want it to be next week, and lose out!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No one knows except Apple when the MBP or MB line of machines will be upgraded. As far as being future proof, no computer is future proof - nowadays technology moves very fast. If you want a MBP for college work buy the best one you can afford and don't look back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I know that hardware moves at a rate of 10 fold over software.
I guess I just want some reassurance as to getting a mac.
To wait until April to buy one would drive me insane, I waited months to build my desktop and it wasn't fun.

Pretty much the mac book pro seems to be the ideal purchase, even though for 1,100$ I could get a "desktop replacement", it isn't pragmatic as far as my college needs go.
If I didn't have my desktop, I would be up for a desktop replacement, but I need back lit keys, long battery, dvd drive and reliability, and with the way upgrades come out each year, it would be nice to be able to get a considerable amount of it back towards a new one.

So besides for future proofing, do you feel the Mac Book Pro, is the best thing for me??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So besides for future proofing, do you feel the Mac Book Pro, is the best thing for me??
You never really mentioned why you want or need an Apple computer. It sounds like from your initial post that you've never owned a Macintosh computer, currently don't own a Macintosh computer, and that most of your computer experience is with Windows based computers.

So why do you need a Macintosh? You do realize that you may have to purchase a lot of software (Macintosh versions) which is going to cost BIG BUCKS $$$$ in addition to the purchase price of the computer.

If this is the case...why wouldn't a Windows based notebook computer get the job done?

After answering these questions...then maybe we'll be closer to answering the question..."Do you feel the Mac Book Pro, is the best thing for me?"

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I need a laptop, I guess it wouldn't really matter if it was mac or pc.
The only program I would need is a word processor like iWork.

I have used Macs before, but not in the last year. So either mac or pc would be suitable, I will have enough for either. I want to get a laptop that will be my study at school all day machine and my music/movie machine at night.

Pretty much the two I am looking at right now are:

Mac Book Pro 13" vs dv7t"quad edition" aka Sandy Bridge and Brand new GPU.

So style and sleek vs advanced powerhouse.
DV7 beats it by a long shot as far as internals go even sound probably.
Mac beats it by a long shot as far as exterior goes even the OS.

Either one will work, I guess I will just sleep on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.