Long boot time sinse deleting free space on macbook air

Reaction score
OSX 10.6.6
Macbook Air

I recently used the "delete free space" feature in disk utility to overwrite all my free space to protect deleted files (i don't know why). But sinse doing so my macbook takes considerably longer to boot up. Before deleting the free space it would boot in around 15 seconds, now it takes over a minute and on the blue loading screen i get the wait wheel, which never appeared before.

Does anyone know why this may be and, more importantly, how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is this one of the new Macbook Airs?
I would think if it is, that it has something to do with the way SSDs/Flash drives handle (mishandles) deleted items, and I assume someone will chime in on this shortly.

OP
@iph0ne
Reaction score
It's an older MBA, but it does have an SSD.

From googling i have seen a few people are having issues after running the delete free space utility, all of them have solid state drives. Boot time and shut down times are increased significantly.

I read somewhere that booting from the recovery disk and running delete free space again resolves the issue. Guess ill have to stump up for a superdrive now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.