price inquiry

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was told my macbook pro (15") had water damage done to the mother board. I was told that the motherboard would be CAN600$. And then the repair cost would total 1250$. Just wondering if these prices are accurate or not through a major electronics chain.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$600CDN sounds about right for a logic board...and depending on how old your MacBook Pro is...it's probably not worth it. In other words...if it's a 2-3 year-old MBP (and maybe worth $900)...spending $600-$1250 to repair a $900 computer (or less) probably isn't worth it.

In fact...if the repairs are going to cost $1259CDN...you might as well get a new computer.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just over a year old

Being 1 year-old it's hard to know what the current value is without the specs...but I do know that a brand new entry level 15" MacBook Pro at the Apple Store Canada is $1849CDN...so your used 1 year-old 15" MBP is probably worth less than that (especially if it's a Core 2 Duo model).

Spending $1250 on a computer that's not worth much more probably isn't a great idea...but of course it's your decision. Just trying to offer a 2nd point of view.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you have a spill? There are moisture indicators built in which alert the Apple technicians to this and void warranty. You may get a couple of hundred bucks on eBay etc advertised as faulty.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the answers!
My macbook brand new before taxes would amount to 2450$
The problem with paying that in repairs or buying a new macbook is that I'm a student and I don't have the money to do so. In regards to water damage, that is what the techs are saying is wrong with it, water damage. Now, I wouldn't be overly concerned if it was, But I can't ever remember bringing it near water. The other problem I have with the pricing is that I purchases a 400$ insurance plan along with the macbook and the store is choosing not to honour it.
Thanks for the quick replies! Probably one of the better forums I've visited!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...But I can't ever remember bringing it near water.

Sometimes it's not about bringing the computer near water...it's bringing water near the computer.;)

Such as drinking a beverage while your MacBook Pro is on your lap.;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I'll rephrase it. My whole university career was on that macbook. There was never any liquid of any form that spilt or dripped on, flooded or submerged the macbook. I was told by someone that it could've been condensation from walking to and from class (is this even likely?) due to the change in temperature from sub zero to a heated class and back again. However, I don't think this helps me much cause it's not something you could necesarily prove wasn't your fault.
Anyways, now that I know I have to pay for the repair I'm really just looking for an answer as to why the servicing cost is 640$. I'll admit I've never had to bring a computer in to get fixed so I'm not sure if that would be a standard price, but that seems a bit steep.

Thanks for all the help up til now!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My whole university career was on that macbook.

No problem here (if you decided not to get the computer repaired). All you have to do is remove the MacBook Pro's hard drive, install it in an external housing, plug it into another computer...and all your University stuff is accessible.

Anyways, now that I know I have to pay for the repair I'm really just looking for an answer as to why the servicing cost is 640$.

I'm not really sure why the total repair cost is $1259CDN. You said that the motherboard is $600CDN (which is pretty close to what it would be in the U.S.)...if the remaining $659 is the cost to have it installed...that sounds very very expensive!!! Are you getting this repair done at the Apple Store?...because if you're getting it done at an independent computer repair place...I think that you may be getting ripped off!!!:(

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a chain retailer... Future shop. Ick.

They had a sale on the macbooks when I got mine and it was a good price so I purchased it there. Had I known that they wouldn't honour the insurance plan, and would wreck me with servicing charges I would've just gone to the mac store. I heard they weren't the greatest when it came to replacing things with their coverage plans, but I didn't know it was this bad! As it is I had to argue with them to get them to replace a faulty top housing, and apparently the harddrive, which was faulty too? Even though those weren't due to water damage they still tried to weasle out of it. I plan on visiting a couple mac stores today to get they're quote on the repair.

Thanks for all the help if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be cool!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on visiting a couple mac stores today to get they're quote on the repair.

Please let us know how the Apple Store visits go. I would love to hear how the Apple Store estimate compares to the $1250CDN estimate you got from the independent store.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Hey
So it's been about a month just about (10-15 day estimate pffft) since I gave the mac to them. In my digging I found that this price is compareable to some independant mac stores that fix them which charge around 1100. However some other places quoted me at 900-1099. So, 1250$ isn't way out there. but it is a little high as far as the standard pricing usually goes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey
So it's been about a month just about (10-15 day estimate pffft) since I gave the mac to them. In my digging I found that this price is compareable to some independant mac stores that fix them which charge around 1100. However some other places quoted me at 900-1099. So, 1250$ isn't way out there. but it is a little high as far as the standard pricing usually goes.

It would be nice to know what the Apple Store would charge for comparison.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, Apple charges a flat rate repair price for liquid damaged units, shipping them to their depot facility, of about $1240 plus tax for MacBook Pros, $750 plus tax for MacBooks (and Airs I believe). This is based on their highest level damage rating, Tier 4 damage. If the coverage you purchased was AppleCare, it's important to understand that it is not insurance - it's an extended service agreement, designed to cover failures that were not the result of physical damage.

As far as the moisture indicators being triggered by changes in temperature, if you're talking about walking from your dorm to your classroom, odds are the change in temp won't generate enough condensation to trigger the sensors. However, it's possible if you leave your computer in the car overnight in a very cold, moist environment, and then bring it into a very warm room, that it could create enough condensation... much like a cold drink on a hot day. That being said though, the simplest answer is most often right... if you're in a college environment, your computer could have suffered a liquid spill while it was out of your sight or out of your control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.