macbook pro 3.1 Ram upgrade question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4 GHz/2GB RAM/160GB 7200 RPM HD/Glossy widescreen
Hello,

I have an older Macbook Pro that was produced in 2007. while apple claims it supports up to 4gb of ram, outside testers have found that it can support 6gb of ram. Unfortunately, the ram bus does not support more than 667 Mhz, while the FSB supports up to 800mhz. I currently have 2 x 1gb and I'm planning to upgrade that. My question is will I see better performance from using 2x2gb ram modules running in dual channel or would i be better off forgoing the dual channel speed in lieu of 1x2gb and 1x4gb ram modules running in single channel?

cheers!

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just thinking from a different angle. I think that the more important questions are:

- Do you NEED 4 gig or 6 gig of ram?
- Also, if you feel that you need 4 gig now...do you really want to do a 2nd ram upgrade later to 6 gig (when you may need 6 gig)?

If it were me...I would just go straight to the 6 gig ram upgrade...and be done with it (rather than do it in two steps).

Also...I really don't think that you're going to see a tremendous speed increase with 2 x 2gig...if having a total of 6 gig of ram would have greater benefits.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.