Will apple find water damage?

Reaction score
Hey everybody. On Sunday I took my MacBook pro 13inch to the apple store because I spilled water on it. They opened the back of it and said there was no water damage detected. So I payed 280$ to send it to get fixed. They said if they do find water damage it will cost 700$.

I split a little water on the space bar and it turned off 30 minutes later. Then I dried it for 7 days. What are the odds of them not finding water damage after apple already told me they found no water damage?

Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
There are several moisture detectors inside of the MacBook Pro. They may not have checked all of these detectors while you were there. If they do an in depth check, and any of them show moisture, they will charge you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Can apple look at anything on my hard drive while they have it for a repair? Can they log into my macbook and look at everything i have on there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yes, but the question is why would they.

If there is something wrong with your Macbook that could be software related, they will skim through to see if something sticks out, but they're not about to snoop at your personal stuff for the sake of snooping.

What you should have is a back up, and if you are really paranoid, you can either setup up a new admin account and delete your old one or do a clean install, before you take it in.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, but the question is why would they.

If there is something wrong with your Macbook that could be software related, they will skim through to see if something sticks out, but they're not about to snoop at your personal stuff for the sake of snooping.

What you should have is a back up, and if you are really paranoid, you can either setup up a new admin account and delete your old one or do a clean install, before you take it in.

Thank you! Also, I took it in on sunday. I spilt water on it but they said they found no water damage from opening up the back. How likely is it they will find water damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Someone already answered your other post, but anyway, without knowing what is wrong with your Macbook, but knowing that you took it in because you spilled something on it, I am assuming that there is something not working quite right.
I therefore believe that they will inspect it, find that it is water damage, and let you know that in order to fix it there will be a hefty charge upwards of $700+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Thank you! Also, I took it in on sunday. I spilt water on it but they said they found no water damage from opening up the back. How likely is it they will find water damage?

Pretty likely. Apple uses moisture activated stickers on the inside of their machines. Odds are one of them picked up the spill.

OP
B
Reaction score
When I went to the apple store they opened up the back and said there were no indications there was water damage. They said it is probably because I plugged the charger straight into the wall instead of into a electrical outlet thing...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not start a new thread when the subject matter is clearly the same. Always post back to the original thread. Your posts and thread have been merged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.