Power mac G5 wifi card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5, 2GB RAM, 2.3GHz, 2x250GB HDD
Hi,
recently i got a power mac G5 - the 2.3GHz version. And I wanted to connect to wifi using a wireless card. I looked around on the net and saw that the Mac took PCI cards. So i bought one, tried to install it and low and behold it didnt fit. Above the slot i saw PCIe, so obviously it needs a PCIe wifi card. My problem is that I cannot find one that is compatible with my G5. Can anyone suggest where i can get one? Or any alternative that is just as good? I live in Ireland so i am quite limited to what i can get with ease.

Thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You can't just install ANY PCI WiFi card in a Powermac G5. Apple Macintosh computers have special hardware requirements...and thus, you cannot just install a PCI WiFi card meant for a "Windows" computer. Make sure anything you buy says:

- Macintosh Compatible
- compatibility with a Powermac G5 2.3ghz
- version of the Mac OS you need to use it

I would check e-Bay for a new or used WiFi card for your Powermac G5...or a reputable online retailer selling Macintosh hardware & parts.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh i know i cant put any card in it, that is why i am posting on this forum to see if anyone knows of any card that is easily available because i cant seem to find one.

I'm not trying to be nasty (just being honest)...but if you know so much...why did you purchase & try to install the first WiFI card? You already admitted that you tried to use a PCI card in a PCIe computer!;) That doesn't sound like someone who knows much about Macintosh computers.:)

I have seen this airport card, is it worth investing in?

would this work?

Of course it's worth investing in...and of course it will work...it's what Apple originally designed to work in the Powermac G5...and it's 100% compatible.:)

Also...you really don't have very many other options for WiFi in a Powermac G5.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because it told me that it was compatible with ALL Power Mac G5's that is why. OK thanks. And i didnt know it was PCIe until i opened it up which was my own mistake

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because it told me that it was compatible with ALL Power Mac G5's that is why. OK thanks. And i didnt know it was PCIe until i opened it up which was my own mistake

Ok thanks for that additional detail...probably would have been good to have included that in the initial post.:)

If you want WiFi abilities with your Powermac G5...definitely get the card we have been discussing in this thread. I was helping someone else with a Powermac G5 question...and I wanted to mention it here as well. If you don't have the Powermac G5 WiFi antenna (which looks like this):

media.nl

...then it would be a good idea to get one of these as well. WiFi reception in Powermac G5's is terrible without it.

Here's a link to the other thread...which has a bunch of helpful info:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...ower-mac-g5-wireless-problem.html#post1168916

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. You should also include your Macintosh's system specs when you post questions. Powermac G5's came in "3 flavors" regarding the expansion slots...PCI, PCIx, PCIe.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah Im sorry :) and thank you for your help! As far as I know it is the late 05 model but I am unsure, is there any way of finding out? I opened it up today and i know where the card goes, but it is a slot. I have been looking and found AirPort Extreme cards but that are only compatible with the G4. The one you linked to me previously seems to be one that connects via a ribbon?

And I will check out whether it has the antenna in it.

Thank you again!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I will check out whether it has the antenna in it.

The antenna I spoke of is not a "in it" sort of thing...it is an external antenna that plugs into one of the ports on the back of the computer.

As far as the airport card install. The type of airport card used in your particular model Powermac G5 was an optional upgrade at the time the original owner purchased it. This airport card is not supposed to be an "end-user" installable part (but it certainly can be done)...but it's probably more complex then installing ram or a hard drive.

By the way...I saw that you added a link to one of your earlier posts for a PCI-e WiFi card compatible with a Powermac G5. It does appear that it should work...but I have not heard of anyone using a PCI-e WiFi card in a Powermac G5...so I can't say how well it works. But you could certainly give it a try.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that after I opened the imagine lol, but thanks! I think I have it all sorted out in my head now lol, as i am a complete newbie to this it took me a while :D yeah i think i will stick with the well known AirPort Extreme card as it seems to certainly work! And the antenna is hard to get hold of as well lol, but I am sure I will get hold of one eventually.

Thank you :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that after I opened the imagine lol, but thanks! I think I have it all sorted out in my head now lol, as i am a complete newbie to this it took me a while :D yeah i think i will stick with the well known AirPort Extreme card as it seems to certainly work! And the antenna is hard to get hold of as well lol, but I am sure I will get hold of one eventually.

Thank you :)

Good deal that everything is sorted out.:)

Upon some further research I have some additional info for you. Here's the card "combo" you need (linked & pictured below). The earlier link (in post #3) was just for the "gray" part in the image below. The new link is for both the "gray" part & the "riser card" which actually plugs into your Powermac G5's logic board.:

Power Mac G5 Apple Airport + Bluetooth Wireless Combo Kit

yhst-78998325717343_2140_189840

Also...since your computer is a PCIe model Powermac G5...it DOES NOT need the external antenna I mentioned earlier.

There were many Powermac G5 models released from 2003-2007. The very early ones had WiFi problems...then Apple designed the antenna I mentioned earlier to fix the WiFi problems. Finally Apple redesigned the internal airport antenna with the Late 2005 models (like you have)...and so the external antenna is no longer needed.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is impossible to find anything like you are finding here lol! Macs are like an exclusive club here, hardly anyone has them unless they're into some sort of media - like me. And I am unsure as to whether it is early or late 05 but I am nearly sure it is late. Finding that combo would be a god send.

Thank you again, you are being of huge assistance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is impossible to find anything like you are finding here lol! Macs are like an exclusive club here, hardly anyone has them unless they're into some sort of media - like me. And I am unsure as to whether it is early or late 05 but I am nearly sure it is late. Finding that combo would be a god send.

Thank you again, you are being of huge assistance!

Well...at least you know what to look for (that's half the battle...or more).;) Worst case scenario is purchasing from the site I linked above (assuming they ship internationally).

There must be someone (internet stores) that specialize in used Mac's in the UK. We have a number of UK members...maybe someone has some good connections.

Good luck,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will have to do what I did when had a Dual Core G5, buy it and have it shipped to you. Helps if you provide your location in your avatar.

What you need is the Bluetooth/Airport Card part No. 661-3692, the Runaway Card on which the Airport card mounts part No. 7106 and mounting rivets part number 922-7106.

This UK Apple parts seller may be able to help but I sure could not get any Down Under"-

http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/stor...ate-2005-c-7445_7624_8279.html?page=5&sort=1a

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have bought an AirPort Extreme card and just hope it works from a seller on Ebay. I dont need the bluetooth one do i? That is just for the wireless keyboard/mouse isnt it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have bought an AirPort Extreme card and just hope it works from a seller on Ebay. I dont need the bluetooth one do i? That is just for the wireless keyboard/mouse isnt it?

As you mentioned...bluetooth is mostly for wireless keyboards & mice...you only need the Airport Extreme card. I only linked airport/bluetooth combo card...because it was the only one I could find that was for sale in case you wanted to purchase it.

Since you purchased this Airport card on e-Bay...can you post a link to the auction, so we can verify you purchased the correct item?

Congrats...wireless is awesome!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the Dual Core no it will not work the Airport/Bluetooth is an all in one combined card.

To tell if it is a Dual Core, it will have DDR2 memory, and PCI-E slots. Go to About this Mac and see what memory is installed and whoever stated Airport will fit all G5's does not know their G5's.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like Harry mentioned...if you have the Powermac G5 model I think that you have...that Airport Extreme card you purchased will not work with your computer.:(

The card you need MUST look like this:

yhst-78998325717343_2140_189840

Not this (like you purchased)...they're not the same:

airport_extreme_card.jpeg

Earlier Powermac G5's did use the Airport Extreme card in the 2nd photo...but since your computer is a "dual-core" model...it needs the card in the 1st photo.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh fantastic it gets better then :/ I have not seen that card anywhere...what is the name of that card? And yes it is DDR2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.