Power mac g5 crashes after installation of new DDR ram

Reaction score
Hello every1 here on the forums!

I have a power mac G5 (early 2005) that i recently bought some DDR ram for (It was Kingston DDR PC3200 184 pin modules which should fit and run with my mac apparently). Since instalation the machine has been crashing and telling me that i need to restart my computer.

When the computer re-starts it gives me the option to send the fault "report" but there seems to be no way to see the report, it just gets sent to apple as far as i can see.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a way that i can access that report to dtermine that the ram is at fault. It would be good also to see whether anyone had run against this problem with kingston ram before with a power mac g5 PPC

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

DC

Power mac g5 PPC (early 2005) 2.5ghz
os x 10.4.11/ydl

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was a way that i can access that report to dtermine that the ram is at fault. It would be good also to see whether anyone had run against this problem with kingston ram before with a power mac g5 PPC.

If your computer ran fine before the ram upgrade...and was crashing after the ram upgrade...then the ram is "bad" or is not fully compatible with a G5 Powermac. To verify this...simply remove the new ram from your Powermac G5. If it doesn't crash...then the new ram is bad or incompatible in some way.

The simple answer is...return the ram where you purchased it...and get the ram you need from one of these guys:

OWC
Crucial

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Thanks guys. sorry about my tardy reply (i went away on hol). Maybe i'll look into buying new ddr ram if i can't somehow get this to run. As far as i know if i want to give it back to the retailer i do't think i'll probably get any kind of refund as the packaging is opened and the watrranty only covers replacement and not a refund.

There isn't anyway i can get this ram to work is there??

Also if i need to get new ram for my mac do you know of any reputable european suppliers (i'm based in barcelona, spain).

Many, many thanks

DC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just use OWC as we do here in Australia. Cheaper than local suppliers and delivery within seven days.

And whatever you do do not buy from a PC shop as most of them are not even aware of the different types of memory. If it is a certain speed and number of pins, they assume it works in a Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now using OWC memory in my mac :) thanks for the advice!!

Awesome...thanks for the update!:)

Some Mac models are just picky about the ram they use.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The G5 could be picky about Ram. Even from well established Mac vendors. I've had a bit of good luck with some PC vendors -- primarily NewEgg and Tiger Direct but I knew the exact specs to ask for. I usually go to OWC but this time the deal was too good to pass up. I was also assured that I could return the memory

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.