Weird problem transfer files from SD Card to USB Memory key

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping you can help me on this one or set me straight if I'm missing something.

I recently picked up a Mac Air to use as primary work machine. It has only limited solid state storage so I have opted for a 128GB USB memory key as the location for music and photo files leaving me with enough space on the SSD for everything else. I previously had music on an SD card that was permanently in the card reader of my old Vaio and now I want to transfer these files to the USB memory drive. I'm using a memory card reader plugged into one USB port and the USB (Kingston - FAT32 format) drive plugged into the other USB port. OS is 10.6.6

The weird thing thats happening is not all the files are copying when I select copy and paste them from one storage media to the other. The result is missing sub-directories when the job is reported as completed and an amount of data that is less than the original card's contents. I can copy Music directory to the USB memory Key, but when I examine the result the new 'Music' folder has less data and not all sub-directories. I've tried moving it all (17Gb of data) in one lump as well as chunk by chunk. I;m not a novice to mac, but not an expert either - on Windows this job would be pretty simple - can't work out what;s going on here though. Could it be the USB memory key? I did erase and re-format it in Disk Utility.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could it be the USB memory key? I did erase and re-format it in Disk Utility.

No, it's not the key. It's probably the way you formatted it. When using Disk Utility to format a drive or storage device to FAT-32, DU defaults to using the GUID partition scheme. That creates a small 200MB EFI partition on the storage device and can interfere with storage capacity and file transfer.

When formatting a device to FAT-32 using DU, you must select options at the bottom of the dialog and switch the partition scheme to MBR. Then the device will be formatted and partitioned correctly.

OP
C
Reaction score
drifted Ratesion

Just checked the existing format and I think it is already setup as MBR. Here are the details showing when I look at the drive in DU;

Disk Description : Generic Flash Disk Media Total Capacity : 135.08 GB (135,083,851,776 Bytes)
Connection Bus : USB Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
USB Serial Number : 712088F1 Partition Map Scheme : Master Boot Record

Back to square one...

Any other ideas of what might be causing this?

Another alternative is to do the file copy/paste using windows 7 running on parallels, but this just seems/feels like giving in - I'd prefer to sort it out in OSX if I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.