Accessing an old macbook pro hard drive

Reaction score
hi
i had a problem with my macbook pro and took into the store. there was a problem with the hard drive where it was randomly not recognized some times. it was under warranty, so they replaced it with a new one and gave me the old one to keep. now i do not have a backup of my old files and need to access the old hard drive. how do i do it? is there any external enclosure that i can buy to use it in? or what cables should i get to connect it to the macbook and get my data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
hi
i had a problem with my macbook pro and took into the store. there was a problem with the hard drive where it was randomly not recognized some times. it was under warranty, so they replaced it with a new one and gave me the old one to keep. now i do not have a backup of my old files and need to access the old hard drive. how do i do it? is there any external enclosure that i can buy to use it in? or what cables should i get to connect it to the macbook and get my data?
Yes...just get an external enclosure. How old is your MBP? I'm guessing you have a 2.5" SATA drive (9.5 mm in height). I bought an enclosure from Amazon for $5 (includes shipping) when I replace my HD. Now my old drive serves as an external HD.Here's the one I bought. It comes with the USB cable to plug it in...and you don't have to use both of them. I backed mine up and use it just fine with only one plugged in.

Amazon.com: USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD EXTERNAL CASE ENCLOSURE: Electronics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
OP
S
Reaction score
i got the case and it works. but the transfer speed is absurdly slow!
is there anything else i should be doing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.